Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

montea6b

I recently completed online apps at several majors and have a few questions:

1. I have heard that most airlines have some kind of conversion factor for military flight time to account for the T/O to land method of logging mil time. However, there was nothing on any of the application pages explaining this. I entered all times straight out of my logbook on the assumption that they would apply their appropriate conversion, but I've heard that SWA applies its correction based on sorties and there was no place to list them. Do they expect you to apply the correction factor they authorize, and if so, where in writing can I find this?

2. This is specific to SWA, but I couldn't immediately translate their aircrew titles to my experience and I was wondering what I should use. E.g., the ones that could all possibly apply to me as a EA-6B Prowler NATOPS instructor and FRS Instructor Pilot are; "Aircraft commander/captain, Check Airman, Evaluator pilot, Instructor pilot, and NATOPS pilot." Which is the most accurate, while looking best on the application?

Civilian vs Military

This comes up a lot on this message board. If you are applying to a military unit, use military terms. If you are applying to an airline, use civilian terms.
If you don't, they may or may not know what the h#ll you are talking about and just pass you by. Most HR types are not prior military and will require an awful lot of explaining of the NATOPS, TOP Gun, Aircraft Commander, Formation Lead Instructor Training guru crap.

Talk to your buds in your Squadron, VR Wing, Group, Flight or what ever else you call yourself these days. If you don't know the difference between the military and civilian, you're already behind the ol' eight ball.

Best of luck,

NTS

Apply the military conversion (as allowed by the company) whenever you input data into the online application. I would never assume they will convert it for you. Be sure to research what kind of a conversion the company allows because most are different and there isn't one blanket conversion that applies everywhere.-One might allow a 1.3 multiplier while another conversion is to add .2 to each sortie and yet another is to add .3 to each sortie. If there isn't a conversion for the military guys in the FAQ or after talking to the HR people then input your military hours and let them sort it out.

MP

Thanks for the chiming in guys. I guess the short answer to #1 is that I need to call HR for each airline and ask since I couldn't find the answer on any of the application websites.

NTS, I think you may have missed the point of question #2. I understand that I need to use civilian terms with civilians, what I'm asking is which terms to are the best ones to use. (After all this it the military transition forum...)

The aircrew titles I quoted were verbatim choices from SWA's application website. You can choose one and only one of them, and there are no write-ins allowed. Each and every one of them could apply to me, but I want to know which is highest in their heirarchy so I can choose the one that makes me look best.

In other words, which is higher... a "Check Airman" or an "Evaluator pilot"? They're not terms we use and they sound very much the same to me. Is "Instructor pilot" higher still?

Some titles translate easily, some not so. For example, they list "Aircraft Commander/Captain" under the same choice. However, this can be very different when comparing military to civilian, and indeed even between aircraft communities in the military.

For example, a single seat Navy TACAIR pilot is designated as Aircraft Commander with only 10 hours in model, before even getting a NATOPS qual. (or Type rating translated to civvie-speak...) Yet a part 121 Captain position, or military transport category Aircraft Commander designation will often take years to obtain, and is a pretty big feather in the cap.

So, if I list this as the highest position obtained and a savvy recruiter notes my background, "Aircraft commander" doesn't look so impressive. That happened years ago while I was still an FRS student!

Yeah, maybe I am a little "behind the ol' eight ball", but that's why I'm here asking questions!

ANY conversion factor is a COMPANY PEROGATIVE. IE. You feed them your military flight time, and it is up to them to decide if they want to give you bounus time for being a military pilot. To put that conversion factor into your logbook, or on your resume is just WRONG.

Unless a companies APP or Flight time breakdown specifically says to use some conversion factor,you are just opening yourself up to questions once they look at your Military Flight time print out.

You can probably fine a dozen threads on this topic in Military forum archives.

Add .3 for every sortie for SWA

Monte,
Having just gone through an interview at SWA (but unfortunately rejected) I can confirm that they want you to add .3 for every sortie and convert your time.

Regarding the Evaluator/Instructor/Captain question, I entered Evaluator. You are right, you were technically an AC at a young age, but Evaluator is higher than Instructor and AC.
For what it's worth,
Pic

Be proud

For example, a single seat Navy TACAIR pilot is designated as Aircraft Commander with only 10 hours in model, before even getting a NATOPS qual. (or Type rating translated to civvie-speak...) Yet a part 121 Captain position, or military transport category Aircraft Commander designation will often take years to obtain, and is a pretty big feather in the cap.

Hey Man,

That's probably the best thing about being a fighter (or tactical) pilot--you get A/C time from the start. Meanwhile "heavy" guys like me wait a few years before accruing time that is worthwhile from the perspective of airlines. Don't apologize for your PIC as a new aviator because you deserved it!

I just left active duty and can tell you that the whole process of transitioning was scary. Getting hired by a great airline is a game and the rules are not written anywhere. Learn how to play by doing all the research you can--network, cold call former squadron mates, get your name out there so anyone that will help you knows you are asking for it. Getting your quals and ratings is only half the battle. I got hired at 2 of my top 3 choices and had several other calls for interviews. Now that I have my dream job I can attest that it is even better than I could have imagined!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back