Apologies to Fed Ex jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wesb737fo

Just wanted to jot a quick note to a FedEx pilot trying to get to Den today on AT. When I arrived on the flight deck we were informed that the flight was full with both the cabin and flight deck jumpseats occupied with our employees. It wasn't until I went back up to the gate to inform the agents of some improperly tagged strollers that the jumpseating AT Captain introduced himself, and that he had his family on board. He also informed me that a FedEx pilot was also trying to catch a ride.

The agent stated everyone had checked in, the flight was full and the AT captain would have to ride the J/S. I coulndnt remember if we had two jump seats on our bird, so I sprinted down (15 mins prior to departure) to see if we could get this guy on. No joy, only one seat. I go back up and tell the guy sorry and walk down where the agent gives me the final count. After verifying no empty seats, I ask where the FA jumpseater is. The agent says she never showed up. The captain agrees to ride the FA J/S so the F'ed ex guy can ride. Now I run back up to the gate with agent complaining about pushing late. Why did I have to ask if the FA JS was occupied. when they tell me all seats occupied I assume the FA is on board. Anyway... The Fed Ex guy
was already gone and it's 10 prior so .... Bottom line. We left a guy we didn't have to leave. I'll contact our JS guy and complain because our agents seem to be more concerned about on time (duh. Right?) versus helping commuters get home. Sorry

Just wanted to jot a quick note to a FedEx pilot trying to get to Den today on AT. When I arrived on the flight deck we were informed that the flight was full with both the cabin and flight deck jumpseats occupied with our employees. It wasn't until I went back up to the gate to inform the agents of some improperly tagged strollers that the jumpseating AT Captain introduced himself, and that he had his family on board. He also informed me that a FedEx pilot was also trying to catch a ride.

The agent stated everyone had checked in, the flight was full and the AT captain would have to ride the J/S. I coulndnt remember if we had two jump seats on our bird, so I sprinted down (15 mins prior to departure) to see if we could get this guy on. No joy, only one seat. I go back up and tell the guy sorry and walk down where the agent gives me the final count. After verifying no empty seats, I ask where the FA jumpseater is. The agent says she never showed up. The captain agrees to ride the FA J/S so the F'ed ex guy can ride. Now I run back up to the gate with agent complaining about pushing late. Why did I have to ask if the FA JS was occupied. when they tell me all seats occupied I assume the FA is on board. Anyway... The Fed Ex guy
was already gone and it's 10 prior so .... Bottom line. We left a guy we didn't have to leave. I'll contact our JS guy and complain because our agents seem to be more concerned about on time (duh. Right?) versus helping commuters get home. Sorry

Glad to see fellow pilots doing the extra work to get us commuters on board.

Some commuters learn sooner or later to stay at the gate until the plane is gone just for circumstances like this.

Last edited:
Glad to see fellow pilots doing the extra work to get us commuters on board.

Some commuters learn sooner or later to stay at the gate until the plane is gone just for circumstances like this.

I will be a commuter myself soon... We tried....but it's frustrating to know that all the agents had to do ( with a minimal amount of effort i might add) was tell us that the FA was not on the jumpseat. I could have then told the guy to hang around until 10 prior and coordinated the JS swap with Captain who had his family in the back anyway. The kicker was the agents were standing around the gate when I told the guy we only had one cockpit JS.

I'm not sure if they were oblivious to the fact that our pilots can take the FA JS and allow an offline guy to get on up front or if they were busy, or more likely....They were just unconcerned. I guess I already know the answer to that.

Don't feel bad about. I ran into that Fed Ex pilot later that day. Once I explained to him you were a Georgia Tech graduate, he completely understood. This is the exact reason why I prefer J/s seating FA's to introduce themselves and let me know if they think they will be on the seat or not. Sometimes the form gets filled out for a previous flight and lingers at the gate. You can always get the lead involved too. Just tell him/her to give you a status on the aft j/s not only for w/b reasons but to get everyone on too. See you around Wes!

Not everyone has the luxury of time to wait around. Sometimes flights leave within minutes of each other, causing the commuter to have to make a split-second decision that may or may not work out. The joy of commuting!

Don't feel bad about. I ran into that Fed Ex pilot later that day. Once I explained to him you were a Georgia Tech graduate, he completely understood. This is the exact reason why I prefer J/s seating FA's to introduce themselves and let me know if they think they will be on the seat or not. Sometimes the form gets filled out for a previous flight and lingers at the gate. You can always get the lead involved too. Just tell him/her to give you a status on the aft j/s not only for w/b reasons but to get everyone on too. See you around Wes!

How is your guitar playing? I'm still working on "Spirit of Radio" and " Limelight"..... Solos don't sound right...imagine that

F'ing gate agents! They seriously give the industry a black eye more often than not!!!!!! Most were probably bullied in school. I agree with a statement a friend told me which is, "if you pay circus wages, you get a circus."

Still can't do a proper barre chord. I would love to blame my short comings on small hands but check this out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSedE5sU3uc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Look closely....those chairs were electrified. One mistake and ZAP! You can see that they keep a minimal amount of voltage pulsing through them just as a reminder.

Just to contribute, I haven't ridden a J/S in years, but the gate agents were like that guy at the bridge in Monty Python Holy Grail movie. Very rarely anything but a roadblock. The worst possible situation is knowing that they have made a mistake and watching your seat leave the gate.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back