AOPA Article: The glory days are over

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
Barry Schiff had a golden career. Had he been hired a mere 6 years later, his career would have been crap. He would have been furloughed for nearly half his career and sat at the panel until the final 10 years with the final 5 years as NB Capt and he'd be flying at NJA (like some others I know from TWA) just to make ends meet. Timing is everything.

As it stands now, if you aren't in aviation for the pure joy of flying, GET OUT NOW! You'll probably be miserable and spend 20 years or so 'sharing' your misery with others.

I was hired just before Barry's son, Brian at TWA and have gotten lucky since my furlough. Brian is still flying probably because he loves the job, just like me. The current environment will surely weed out those who aren't serious about flying and willing to take the road regardless of where it ends up.TC

P.S.--All of you taking swipes at Snaab, why aren't you doing the same for TWA dude and me? We both have good attitudes about the industry and have been crapped on... Don't give someone crap for trying to make the best of a lousy situation all the while you're staying in the same lousy conditions.

Exactly what Barry didn't mention. This industry is really all about
timing. Two friends of mine were both hired by TWA (one a year
after Barry and the other 4 years after). The one hired in 1965
essentially mirrored Barry's career. The one hired in 1968 was
furloughed 3 times and was still flying as a 727 F/O in 1988.
He did end up being one of the few TWA guys that got
to stay captains after the AA deal, but the 3 year difference
in hire dates was huge.

Reebo said:
Paul didn't have to leave Trans States, he elected to. Thought Air Whisky would be a better deal. Had he stayed at Trans States he'd be a EMB Capt making 65k with about 13-15 days off a month. Not the best, but not to shabby either.

That's correct. Beware the dangers of a lateral move (especially between regionals). Sometimes it works, but there are plenty of people that jumped to another regional and got screwed.

Also, if an airline wanted you to have a wife, kids, and a house, they would have issued them to you on the first day of ground school with your Systems manual and Jepps.:laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back