Anything fun in Des Moines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyeys

Have a 31 hour layover in DSM, trying to find something fun to do. Museums, Night life, etc... anything at all to avoid the hotel room would be wonderful. Thanks!

Decent art museum off of Grand Avenue. Most of the nightlife, as it is, is on Court Avenue - a number of restaurants, night clubs, live music (mostly on weekends), etc.

Also check the Des Moines Register (www.dmregister.com). The Thursday edition of the paper lists arts, entertainment, happenings, nightlife, in the Datebook section.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=DATEBOOK
http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=ENT

80% of what little flying experience I have was from DSM, at Des Moines Flying Center.

Last edited:
There's a great cajun restaurant and bar called Buzzard Billy's downtown. Nothing better than a jerk chicken sandwich and Shiner Bock. Also a good brewery down the street. Fairly classy place, can't remember the name. Some decent brews though.

I'd definitely stop at Buzzard Billy's though.

Smittys has some of the best Iowa pork tenderloins... Its located on Army Post Rd just past the Pizza Hut. Hole in the wall place, but good food. Downtown there is a street called Court Ave. Where they have a Rock Bottom Brewery and a few other sports bars. Hessen Haus is around the corner if you enjoy German beers and if you enjoy Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones or The Beatles walk up 4th ave. to The Royal Mile and enjoy a pub atmosphere. Its cold here right now so if this is in the next few days bring a jacket.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will surely check these places out!

The only BBQ I can think of is "Mustards", which, although not bad for lunch, isn't exactly world class. Good pizza (they stole their recipe from the Tavern in West Des Moines - there was a whole lawsuit over it).

Probably not up to Falcon Capt's demanding standards, but what do they say? Any port in a storm?

Last edited:
FlyChicaga said:
There's a great cajun restaurant and bar called Buzzard Billy's downtown. Nothing better than a jerk chicken sandwich and Shiner Bock. Also a good brewery down the street. Fairly classy place, can't remember the name. Some decent brews though.

I'd definitely stop at Buzzard Billy's though.

Headin' to buzzard billy's, let you know how it is in a little while. Thanks for the advice.

Latest resources

Back