• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone with experience in older C310's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a C model 310- 1959. io470d engines 260hp /side. The gear switch is three position for a reason. If the gear were not to deploy, you want to put the switch in the center position before hand cranking the gear down - so if its a motor problem, its does not spin the handle in your hand and break your hand. Also the only way to do a manual extension without pulling a breaker. (If you do a manual extension, crank to stop, stow handle, select gear down and verify green light.)
Flaps -first ten degrees at 160mph max. (less is better)
rest of flaps at 140mph(I use 130-135)
Gear at 140 mph max(I use 130)
Landing lights 140mph max (I use 130)
Take off at night with taxi light(on nose wheel)
Make small and slow power changes. Keep power in the green.
On injected models don't go full rich on approach with boost pumps on- can go too rich and quit. (experiment at 3- 4000 over airport)
Aux fuel for cruise only- no descents or climbs on aux)
Fuel comes out of aux at about twice the burn rate with the remainder going to main on same side. ( I stagger use of aux fuel- don't run both engines on aux at a time- thats just me)
Allow 5 to 6 nm per 1000 feet for descent to pattern alt from cruise alt.
75% is a little too much power in cruise for good engine life on injected models. Cowling is tight and engines produce more power per cubic inch of displacement than most GA engines.
A 310 does good on one engine- mine holds 4500 ft on a hot day with one a 75%(24/2450) but be careful about getting to dirty way out and down low- gear and big flaps has alot of drag.
It goes from really slick to really dirty with gear and flaps. (Flaps are 9 feet per side, split design and large chord, 45 degrees full down)

On downwind try this- have speed at 110-115 mph, power 17/2350, gear at 10, gear down- start adding flaps for descent, check gear green on downwind, fuel on mains, turn base, check gear green, add more flaps- don't touch power until ground effect, turn final and check gear green and add flaps as needed make small power changes only if you have to. Slow to Vref ( 95mph at gross) Pull some power out in ground effect. Requires a small pattern.

Remember a gear up probably means a total loss in a old twin(cost of repairs exceed a certain percent of insured amount)

Don't get slow and dirty on final and pull all the power out. More the one 310 has hit so hard that the wings bent outboard of the gear.

The gear is electric and very slow- so I was taught to leave a finger on the gear switch until getting a green light.

I get up to 170 knot true speed - up higher at 21/2350.

A little 310 history.
310 and 310B pressure carb O-470 continentals of 240 hp
310 came out in 1954. A Air Force U3-A is bacically the 310B.
310C was 1959. IO-470D of 260hp. Only model with straight tail and injected engines. 262 were built. Lightest weight of the 260hp per side models.Same as U3-B- one at Wright Pat museum
310D -1960 swept tail and bob weights added to elevator cables- alot of these were modified(the bob weights messed up handling)
Some letters were skipped.
Tanks were canted in early 1960s.
Only Q and R models were built multiple years.
Some Qs were 260hp some turbocharged- I don't know HP.
R model- nose extended- nose gear shortened, Changed to 285hp IO-520 Continentals.

If you can find a old one without corrosion behind engines due to exhaust augmenters, there is a STC to change to underwing exhaust. Mine was done a long time ago.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back