Anyone use Dauntless for an FE written?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AbOvo

I'm looking at my options for the FE written. There is of course the $300 one day deal at All ATP...and another thing I found on a google search. It's called Dauntless and they seem to be very upfront with their explanation of the prep.

[URL]http://www.dauntless-soft.com/...engineer.asp?gclid=CKiQ0925u4sCFRAjhgodVwtBuA[/url]

I have never done an all day test prep but $300 seems like a lot for sitting in front of a computer, in the past I've just studied on my own using the old Gleim books. I plan to take the test soon and I'm looking for advice on either the Dauntless method or the ATP method.

Thanks for the info!

I purchased the program recently and have liked it. Gleim does not publish the printed books anymore, and I wasn't impressed when I prepared for my ATP written at ATP. The only drawback I would say as that for many of the computational questions they only explain one of each type and you have to search through them to find an explanation. Now if you are just memorizing answers and don't care to learn how (this seemed to be the ATP style) than this won't matter. I actually have a first edition Gleim FE book from back in college, so I have used the software and the book together. If I need to learn how to solve a problem I have done this through the book. Everything else I have done on the computer. I like taking multiple practice tests and tracking my improvement. In the past I wasn't too concerned with the score because it would disappear after the rating ride. In this case, the written will likely be all that I ever receive that has anything to do with being a FE, so I want to make sure that the score is one that I am not embarrassed to present to UPS should I get the chance.

Bottom line, I decided that I could use spare time over a few weeks studying at home and end up only spending $105 to get the FE written and likely get a better score than spending $295 on a cram session. For me the other aspect was that ATP is on the other side of ATL for me and I would be dealing with awful traffic both ways - no thanks!

Hope that helps,

Gorditas

Hi!

I am using the Dauntless software. I think I paid $30 for it, but then I saw u could add the ATP for $10 more. Since most interviews have a written test, and since most of the tests have ATP stuff on them, I figured I spend $10 more to get both.

The software also has tons of links to everything official on the net you need (FAA, Canadian stuff, British stuff), so no more need to buy those books every year-it's all on the net.

The Dauntless stuff also is updatable, I think forever, at no cost, which is cool. When next year's regs come out, you just update the software.

When I did ATPs, they had an instructor who explained stuff to us-with Dauntless there's no instructor to explain stuff, so you have to be more motivated than with the class.

cliff
SHV

I used dauntless, studied 3 or 4 days on layovers and made a 99. Worked great for me. However, download the test supplement from the FAA for free so you have a hard copy of the tables and graphs much easier than the pop ups on the dauntless software.

I did they ATP cram session, but I had to. I found out on a Friday afternoon about a class date for the following Monday. I spent about 3 hours by myself on their computer and got a 90%. Your mileage my vary.

cram session at ATP for FE written?

for those of you who did your FE written at ATPs, was it strictly a cram session? or was there some sort of handout material for the promlems like weight shift, or performance? ive got mine planned for friday, and am just looking for some imput....thanks!

for those of you who did your FE written at ATPs, was it strictly a cram session? or was there some sort of handout material for the promlems like weight shift, or performance? ive got mine planned for friday, and am just looking for some imput....thanks!

I personally felt that it was purely a cram session when I took my ATP written there. Some centers may be different than others, but after seeing both, I would buy the Dauntless software and do it on your own UNLESS you are really under the gun to take the test immediately. They basically sat you in front of the computers and had you go over and over the questions until about 4:00. Since the ATP written also had computational questions, I would assume that the FE would be done in a similar fashion unless they have changed their procedures in the last few years.

Good luck,

Gorditas

I'm looking at my options for the FE written. There is of course the $300 one day deal at All ATP...and another thing I found on a google search. It's called Dauntless and they seem to be very upfront with their explanation of the prep.

[URL]http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/GroundSchool/flightengineer.asp?gclid=CKiQ0925u4sCFRAjhgodVwtBuA[/URL]

I have never done an all day test prep but $300 seems like a lot for sitting in front of a computer, in the past I've just studied on my own using the old Gleim books. I plan to take the test soon and I'm looking for advice on either the Dauntless method or the ATP method.

Thanks for the info!

It worked for me though I only pulled in a 89% - I still got the job. ;)

I have to say that the "how to" part of it was a little vague and I had to use other reference materials. However, it wasn't bad at all.

I'm doing the King thing right now... about the same cost as ATP less the travel cost. Okay prep stuff, decent explanations on the videos. Wish I had known about Dauntless though. When I did my ATP written with AllATP's it was nothing but a cram session.

Latest resources

Back