Anyone think commuting is not that bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyChicaga said:
After having lived in base (30 minutes front door to cabin door), and now commuting, I can say that living is base will ALWAYS be better than commuting. That said, right now I'd prefer commuting than moving into base. It's a cheaper cost of living here, and with plenty of flights per day, it doesn't give me that much heartache. I keep a crashpad, since it's cheap, even if I don't use it. I can say the only thing that commuting has allowed me is more time to read and listen to music. All that free time sitting on gate holds, in the crew room, or flying enroute is "down time" that I probably wouldn't use at home.

I say find a place to live that you really enjoy. But make it reasonable. I'd enjoy living in some places that would just be hell to commute. So I picked the best alternative.

There was an old airline captain who told me one time, while I was complaining about the three hour ground stop during a commute: "Pick a place to live, and stay. Commute. It's hard, but it's better than trying to move every time you get a new job, a base closes, or you bid to new equipment. You'll probably end up commuting anyways. Might as well do it from somewhere you enjoy."

Also realize this is the perspective of a young single guy, not a 40-yr old married pilot with three kids. For situations like that, who knows, it might be better to take the risk of base closure to live in base. Trust me, if I had kids, I'd be flying day trips in base in a heartbeat. Maybe.

What happened to AngeloDiAmore? She aint knocked up yet?

Like some have said on here, it really depends on your lifestyle and commitments on whether or not commuting is for you. I myself commute out of MSP, the other direction tho (PHX - and this is a very tough route to commute). I say as long as you preplan and have a couple backups in place (like MSP-IAD, IAD-ORF as someone stated) you should be fine. Yes, commuting sucks, but when it comes down to it, home is home.

Jack Schitt said:
What happened to AngeloDiAmore? She aint knocked up yet?

Why, you want her? Sorry, she has some standards.

Try LAS to MCO.....both cities have hugh tourist flows, limiting most jumpseating.....alot of running around the airports....CASS requirements....I can be fun if you are not in a hurry to get anywhere....I say try to live where you are based if possible, stay single....

By the way, I dont understand the inference to Military and J/S into orf...Of course I realize it the military hub of the east coast...but waht does that have to do with the seniority and pecking order to J/S there?

Thanks for the replies

Thanks guys and gals! I am very grateful for all the thoughtful answers that are sometimes hard to get on here. I was really hoping to get on with mesaba so I wouldnt have to commute forever, had an interview offer, and then nwa BK. Got a call from mesaba saying stopped hiring. So Im still waiting that one out, but looking for back up plans.

My wife has a good job in MSP, lived here our whole lives, both our families are here, love it here and own a home here. Unforetunately alot of reasons not to move. Oh well

Thanks again

You are not alone!

Smarta$$ said:
Thanks guys and gals! I am very grateful for all the thoughtful answers that are sometimes hard to get on here. I was really hoping to get on with mesaba so I wouldnt have to commute forever, had an interview offer, and then nwa BK. Got a call from mesaba saying stopped hiring. So Im still waiting that one out, but looking for back up plans.

My wife has a good job in MSP, lived here our whole lives, both our families are here, love it here and own a home here. Unforetunately alot of reasons not to move. Oh well

Thanks again

Same reason I have not accepted positions elsewhere....Just enjoy being a kept-man....My wife pulls down more than I will ever make at an airline, not going to make waves....though she still supports any choice I would make, great women, great wife....keep the priorities in order and it will work out in time....keep the faith!...

Now back to the soaps!...

Commuting blows no matter how you look at it. Having said that, living in the cities where most good airlines base out of blows even worse than the commuting does!

So in the end, I live where I want to and commute to where I work, beats shoveling snow for half the year and dealing with the big city traffic and people. As it stands now, I only have to deal with snow maybe once every two years.........hmm, may be time to move farther south......I really hate snow!

Live in Domicile

I have a 25 minute commute and it is great. There are many areas in the country I would like to live, but not so bad as to want to commute. I understand that some circumstances dictate that one must commute, but if you don't have to, here are some good reasons to live in domicile.

1: Not spending off-time in terminals.
2: You don't go to the parking lot hoping your seat is available.
3: Reserve? It can be a very good thing.
4: Stress level reduced.
5: More flexibility when bidding schedules.
6: More flexibility when bidding aircraft/seat.
7: No cost for crashpad or airport car.

Latest resources

Back