Anyone see that news clip?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ToiletDuck said:
I'm simply stating that I've seen tons of C-5 takeoffs of which none looked like what I saw on TV. And I thought it was a cool sight and wanted to know if anyone else has seen it. If it's not cool to you then that's fine. I didn't post anything to talk about aircraft performances I just thought it was an awesome sight seeing something so big use the entire runway. Secondly I'm not talking about any of that crap you are so stuff it. It was a cool takeoff. How many C5's have you watched? As I've stated I've seen tons and never seen one do that so it was abnormal to me. And FYI I am plenty familiar with those concepts. Just because you fly a small lear doesn't make you god. It was just a cool sight so leave it at that. Good God.
"whoop whoop"

"Captain, we have a Hysteria Alert!"

"Identify and cancel...perform Hysteria memory items!"

Toilet duck...maybe the camera angle is deceptive? When I watch the videos taken by our staff, of tandems exiting the plane, the angle filmed at exit makes the plane look as if it's rolling over into a nose down dive. In reality, it's just camera angle, because all I am doing is banking the plane to watch the jumpers fall for the first few seconds.

Last edited:
Heavy and hot pass V1 and let her go until the last 1000 feet, rotate and hope. Very much true if you are not really sure of the amount of weight you have in the back.

I'm simply stating that I've seen tons of C-5 takeoffs of which none looked like what I saw on TV. And I thought it was a cool sight and wanted to know if anyone else has seen it.

ah no, you didn't say it was cool...here is your quote from your first post.

My friend and I were freaking out.

ToiletDuck said:
I'm guessing you didn't see it then. It was pretty cool.

As far as a C5 pilot know's what he's doing. I talked to one just this week who said the C5 was the 3rd plane he had ever flown. He learned in a 172, got his multi in a Baron, then moved into the C5 and has been flying it for about 3 yrs now.

I'm gonna call bull $hit on that one. Unless he was a helo pilot he would have gone through UPT and flown the T-37 and then the T-38 or BE-400 depending on when he went through. It doesn't matter how many civilian hours you have, everyone goes through military flight training.

FN FAL said:
He told me that little planes, like the ones I was flying at flight school, didn't need flaps. He also told me that little planes were inherently dangerous, because of all the airline pilots that he knew that died flying them on their off duty time.

Big planes don't NEED flaps either. They certainly help, just like they do in small planes. I've been on a C-5 that did a no flap landing. The approach speed is A LOT faster than with flaps.

Yeah, airline pilots die flying small planes all the time. It's usually not the plane that's the problem, its the operator. Engine failures in small planes are a much bigger deal than they are in large planes.

[QUOTE}
He also told me that little planes were inherently dangerous, because of all the airline pilots that he knew that died flying them on their off duty time.[/QUOTE]
viper548 said:
Yeah, airline pilots die flying small planes all the time. It's usually not the plane that's the problem, its the operator. Engine failures in small planes are a much bigger deal than they are in large planes.

yup, and so have Doctor's, school teachers, architects, flight instructors, politicians, and i'm sure some ex-military or current military pilots to have bit it in small planes, large planes, medium planes in their spare "off" time.

FN FAL said:
"whoop whoop"

"Captain, we have a Hysteria Alert!"

"Identify and cancel...perform Hysteria memory items!"

LATER AT THE NTSB HEARINGS:

NTSB Official:
Captain, it has come to our attention that during the Hysteria encounter you and your FO didn't follow the procedures to the letter resulting in massive aircraft damage and potential loss of life. What do you say for yourself?

Captain: Well sir I briefed the takeoff to the best of my ability and thought my FO could handle the hot and high takeoff. I briefed him that due to the aircraft weight, hot temperature, and high elevation that we would be using MAX power with the PACKS off. I went over the dispatch release and double checked the takeoff weight numbers. From what I read and briefed we would be using the majority of the 10,000 ft long runway. I thought he understood. After he called V1 I knew that we had a problem. His cries kept getting louder and louder stating that we were not going to make it. I rotated just where the takeoff calculations stated VR would be. At this point it was too late. My FO was in severe shock and kept babbling over and over again stating, "Thats not how we did it in the sim! Thats not how we did it in the sim!" At this point he was useless. The Hysteria Alert went off just as the Aircraft Manual states that is should. I tried to get the FO to at least perform the Hysteria Alert Memory items but at this point I was on my own.
I was hand flying the aircraft, talking on the radio, running the emergency checklist, and at the same time trying to stop a crazed 500 Total Time First Officer from killing us all. At this point he began pressing every button and pulling every switch while yelling at the top of his lungs, "This is how we did it at Riddle!! This is how we did it at Riddle!"

I tried to get the aircraft back to the takeoff runway but it was useless. My FO had already fired both Engine fire bottles as well as shut off all my hydraulics. The only thing that kept us alive is that he passed out from shear fright allowing me to keep the aircraft under battery power and manual reversion. If he had gotten to those battery switches we might all be dead right now.

I can't say that it's all his fault sir. He does only have 500 hours total and just got off IOE after going through three different check airmen. He's brand new and really doesn't know what he is doing. Problem is he got filled up with a bunch of BS going to Riddle that he thinks he is God's gift to aviation. Maybe this accident will scare him enough that he will realize that he has got alot to learn.

NTSB Official: We will issue our report in a few weeks. Thank you for your testimony.

viper548 said:
Big planes don't NEED flaps either. They certainly help, just like they do in small planes. I've been on a C-5 that did a no flap landing. The approach speed is A LOT faster than with flaps.

Hook, line, and ummm....sinker

Latest resources

Back