Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone on this forum let their CFI lapse- and got them reinstated?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

I let my CFI/II/MEI lapse a few years back (still kicking myself), and will need to get reinstated. I haven't flown anything with a fan on the front for about 7 years- anyone else been there? I'd like to work with a local instructor/flight school to get some dual, then find an examiner for the ride.

Anyone have a recommendation in the HOU area? Preferably someone who is sympathetic of us airline guys. My 8s on pylons will likely be pathetic after all these years.

Last edited:
I let my CFI/II/MEI lapse a few years back (still kicking myself), and will need to get reinstated. I haven't flown anything with a fan on the front for about 7 years- anyone else been there? I'd like to work with a local instructor/flight school to get some dual, then find an examiner for the ride.

Anyone have a recommendation in the HOU area? Preferably someone who is sympathetic of us airline guys. My 8s on pylons will likely be pathetic after all these years.

The easiest way to do it is do a CFII ride. Go up and shoot some approaches. It is the easiest ride and will reinstate all your certificates. I did it a couple years back. Went up with a DE that works for my airline. Good luck!

Might want to try AllATPs flight school. They might have a program for that

My CFI-II expired while I wasn't paying attention back in 1989. Twice since then on type rides, FAA examiners issuing the rides have offered to reinstate my CFI, but have backed down because the rides were in multi-engine aircraft and my CFI was for singles only. Now I don't really give a ********************.

I have let mine expire and reinstated a couple times. The last time it was after about 10 years of not flying a single engine plane. I got checked out at an FBO, practiced one other time and went up with a Designated Examiner and did turns around a point, slow flight, stalls and a couple landings.

The flying is no big deal it comes right back. The hard part is studying all the part 61 and 91 that pertains to general aviation and ratings. You dont need a sign off for the reinstatement. For me it was a total of about $800 including the DE fee and AC checkout and rental. For me it was worth the effort.

I suggest you talk to a DPE and get his/her opinion on a course of action. I suggest you spend some time in the books by doing an online CFI renewal course. You can't reinstate your CFI this way, but the book time will prove valuable if the DPE wants to chat for an extended period of time. Here is the direct web link (hope it works)
http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

I have used GLEIM although I can renew by 'Duties and Responsibilities'. I find the book time quite valuable. Best of luck.

I just asked about keeping my current and I had all my stalkers making comments .

I even posted in the correct place .

Not sure what CFI ratings you have but when my lapsed several years back I didn't have my MEI. Flying an AZTEC was much easier than flying a 152 at that point so it was easy. I'm sure this is a case of...it depends who you ask...but when I checked into taking a checkride to reinstate my CFI, I was told that they would pull things from either of my ratings (I had CFI and a CFII). I didn't want to practice all the single engine VFR stuff, not to mention their were a few maneuvers that were just added that I had never done...and then be made to shoot approaches in a single...so I just opted for the MEI rider.

Latest resources

Back