Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know of a pilot flying with central sleep apnea?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

countryflyer

Sitting home now for 3 months and counting after being diagnosed with central sleep apnea, and was wondering if anyone else has been through the same ordeal. I know that my diagnosis is rare,(less than 5 % of people diagnosed with sleep apnea) but can't believe I am the only pilot in the last 3 or 4 years since the new type of CPAP machine came out to get approved to fly again. Everyone at the FAA all the way up the ladder has said they haven't even seen a pilot with central sleep apnea, let alone had one try to get their medical back.

My file has been kicked to Oklahoma City from the regional office, and has been kicked around several doctors in OKC, with still no decision. Just getting really tired of being home and unable to make a living. It is especially tough, since I am feeling better than I have in a decade now that I am using the CPAP machine.

Any ideas are appreciated

ALPA has an Aeromedical Resource Center that certainly have had experience with this. They can either assist you or put you in touch with someone who has gone through the process.

Their number is (303) 341-4435.

Apparently, they have a sister company if you are not ALPA affiliated. I found the link on the ALPA website.

Extensive Aeromedical Information including information regarding medical conditions and FAA allowed medications is also through our sister company, Virtual Flight Surgeons® Inc at www.AviationMedicine.com

Here is an interesting link from their site:

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/articles/index.cfm?fuseaction=displayArticle&articleID=54

Good luck with seeing it through to getting back on the line.

Regards...

Last edited:
Sitting home now for 3 months and counting after being diagnosed with central sleep apnea, and was wondering if anyone else has been through the same ordeal. I know that my diagnosis is rare,(less than 5 % of people diagnosed with sleep apnea) but can't believe I am the only pilot in the last 3 or 4 years since the new type of CPAP machine came out to get approved to fly again. Everyone at the FAA all the way up the ladder has said they haven't even seen a pilot with central sleep apnea, let alone had one try to get their medical back.

My file has been kicked to Oklahoma City from the regional office, and has been kicked around several doctors in OKC, with still no decision. Just getting really tired of being home and unable to make a living. It is especially tough, since I am feeling better than I have in a decade now that I am using the CPAP machine.

Any ideas are appreciated

Why would you have reported that?

I flew with a guy that had it. He had the surgery that takes everything out of the back of your throat. I know he was out for 6 months and didnt use the machine anymore. I dont know if the surgery was to get his medical back or the reason he lost it.

Latest resources

Back