Anyone know how to get a Radio station license

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

I may be picking up some flying work outside the U.S. and I'd like to get my radio Licence. I'd appreciate it if anyone who has done this recently can direct me to the web site and add any words of wisdom on the procedure. Thanks a bunch in advance.

I just got mine yesterday. It's painfully easy. Spend about an hour confusing yourself w/ the website, pay by credit card, get it 4 days later.

-mini

minitour said:
I just got mine yesterday. It's painfully easy. Spend about an hour confusing yourself w/ the website, pay by credit card, get it 4 days later.

-mini

Hey Minitour... I'm filling out form 605 now and I'm at the tail number section of the form. I don't own my own aircraft so why would I put down a tail number. The form does not give me any options. What did you do?

OK... I restarted the 605 application because I figured if it's asking me about a specific tail # I must have made a mistake. I do not want to get a radio station license for an aircraft ...I want to get one for me. So in the very begining of the form there is a section that asks what "RADIO SERVICE" I want to select. There are literally 75 options and htere is no good explanation of which one I should select. The first time I selected "AIRCRAFT" which is probably why the application wanted a tail #. So going through all 75 options I have narrowed it down to possibly 7 which I should select... Problem is...each one is different & there is no explanations. The following are the 7 Possible "RADIO SERVICES" I think are most applicable

(AA) Aviation Auxilary Group
(AC) Aircraft
(AF) Aeronautical and fixed
(AR) Aviation Radio Navigation
(CA) Commercial air group Radio telephone
(CG) General Aviation Air Ground Radio-telephone
(RR) Restricted operator

If any pilot has recently obtained their radio license... ya know... the license that allows them to legally fly internationally and talk on the radio please let me know which one I should select. Thanks for the help.

I did some research on AOPA's site and found out that I most likely will need a Restricted Operator's license as opposed to an aircraft radio station license. Here is what they say about the restricted Operator's permit:

RESTRICTED OPERATOR PERMIT: At least one person on each aircraft flying or communicating internationally must have a restricted radiotelephone operator permit. This requirement is in addition to the requirement to have an aircraft radio station license for the aircraft. No restricted radiotelephone operator permit is required to operate VHF radio equipment on board an aircraft when that aircraft is flown domestically. You may obtain a restricted permit using FCC Form 605. No test is required to obtain this permit. The FCC will mail the permit to you, and it will be valid for your lifetime. The fee for a restricted permit is in addition to any fee paid for an aircraft license. The permit fee is $55.
You may operate your aircraft radio after you have submitted your application(s) to the FCC so long as you fill out, detach, and retain the temporary operating authority attached to the application form. The temporary operating authority is valid for 90 days after you submit your application to the FCC and should be kept with your station records until you receive your license/permit through the mail.

Apply for the Restricted Radio Operator. You don't need a tail number. I made the same mistake when I got my license.

Just completed the transaction. I selected the "(RR) Restricted Operator" and the rest of the form made sense and was very easy...even paid on-line. Total cost is $55.00 and the permit is good for life. I guess I will get the permit in the mail within a week or so. I can see how confusing this process can be if you do not know what "Radio Service" to select... I spent a couple hours dicking around with this. Hope this thread helps future applicants not waste so much time and frustration.

Bernoulli said:
Hope this thread helps future applicants not waste so much time and frustration.

It did. I was completely lost on which option to pick from the 75 you mentioned. Now I now and can apply online. Thanks for posting this and for all the helpful replies.

Latest resources

Back