• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In surprise move, DHL in talks with ABX Air

By John Nolan
Staff Writer

Friday, March 13, 2009

Express shipper DHL, which has been trying since last year to hire rival United Parcel Service to sort and fly DHL packages in the United States, says it is talking again with its current cargo-flying partners, ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo.
DHL began talking with ABX and ASTAR after an agreement to negotiate exclusively with UPS expired at the end of January, DHL spokesman Jonathan Baker said.
"When that period ended, we began talking with other potential partners," Baker said. He said ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo are among those, along with UPS.
The development raises the possibility that ABX and ASTAR, which currently fly DHL cargo from its U.S. freight hub at Wilmington, might be chosen to continue serving DHL if it is unable to reach an agreement in its negotiations with UPS.
"DHL has let us know they believe they will now need us through September to keep doing what we are doing. That is the only definite information we have from them," ABX Air spokeswoman Beth Huber said Friday, March 13.
Spokesmen for ASTAR did not return telephone messages requesting comment.
It is unclear what role ABX will be allowed to fill after that, Huber said. DHL is ABX's biggest customer. ABX operates DHL's Wilmington hub under contract.
Ohio officials were unaware that DHL has added ABX and ASTAR to the negotiating mix, said Amanda Wurst, spokeswoman for Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland.
The state has been pressuring DHL to enter negotiations about its pledge to consider publicly donating its Wilmington Air Park, so the state and local officials can control the 2,200-acre airport in efforts to bring in new employers and jobs.
"We are eager to move forward on a decision, in the interests of all parties," Baker said. "A decision on a donation could only be made when we reach an agreement with our airlift partners and determine our need for the facility."
Thousands of jobs have been eliminated at DHL's Wilmington hub, the region's largest employer, since DHL's announcement last year that it is slashing its U.S. delivery network to reduce its $1 billion annual U.S. losses. The company trails U.S. rivals UPS and Federal Express (FedEx).
ABX Air gave notice Thursday that it is laying off an additional 58 employees by the end of March, Huber said. Before that notice, ABX Air's Wilmington employment was slightly less than 3,000, which is the bulk of its work force of 3,300 system-wide, she said.

In surprise move, DHL in talks with ABX Air

By John Nolan
Staff Writer

Friday, March 13, 2009

Express shipper DHL, which has been trying since last year to hire rival United Parcel Service to sort and fly DHL packages in the United States, says it is talking again with its current cargo-flying partners, ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo.
DHL began talking with ABX and ASTAR after an agreement to negotiate exclusively with UPS expired at the end of January, DHL spokesman Jonathan Baker said.
"When that period ended, we began talking with other potential partners," Baker said. He said ABX Air and ASTAR Air Cargo are among those, along with UPS.
The development raises the possibility that ABX and ASTAR, which currently fly DHL cargo from its U.S. freight hub at Wilmington, might be chosen to continue serving DHL if it is unable to reach an agreement in its negotiations with UPS.
"DHL has let us know they believe they will now need us through September to keep doing what we are doing. That is the only definite information we have from them," ABX Air spokeswoman Beth Huber said Friday, March 13.
Spokesmen for ASTAR did not return telephone messages requesting comment.
It is unclear what role ABX will be allowed to fill after that, Huber said. DHL is ABX's biggest customer. ABX operates DHL's Wilmington hub under contract.
Ohio officials were unaware that DHL has added ABX and ASTAR to the negotiating mix, said Amanda Wurst, spokeswoman for Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland.
The state has been pressuring DHL to enter negotiations about its pledge to consider publicly donating its Wilmington Air Park, so the state and local officials can control the 2,200-acre airport in efforts to bring in new employers and jobs.
"We are eager to move forward on a decision, in the interests of all parties," Baker said. "A decision on a donation could only be made when we reach an agreement with our airlift partners and determine our need for the facility."
Thousands of jobs have been eliminated at DHL's Wilmington hub, the region's largest employer, since DHL's announcement last year that it is slashing its U.S. delivery network to reduce its $1 billion annual U.S. losses. The company trails U.S. rivals UPS and Federal Express (FedEx).
ABX Air gave notice Thursday that it is laying off an additional 58 employees by the end of March, Huber said. Before that notice, ABX Air's Wilmington employment was slightly less than 3,000, which is the bulk of its work force of 3,300 system-wide, she said.

Now that was not really a suprise now was it? Graber said on the last hotline we are NOT talking to DHL so that pretty much says it all now doesn't it? Remember anytime management lips are moving.......you can fill in the rest.

Hey ,

Let's start bashing each others airlines and fight over who will do the flying for DHL. Even though noone on this board has any decsion making power. aahhhh how I miss the old days!

I am just glad to have a job. I hope it works out for both. If Astar continues with the current amount of aircraft they are flying, what will they do with all those xtra acft and pilots. From what I have heard you guys have not let anyone go. That is a lot of folks sittin around doing nada. Surely there is still an ACMI market somwhere for the DC8.. Get D#$%bag, oh I mean Dasburg of his arse and get it!

No flame just curious......For Now!!!;)

Chimchim, glad to see you are still around, seriously.

Last edited:
When the press release came out Friday, I called the front office..............no one knows anything. You just have to laugh.

When the press release came out Friday, I called the front office..............no one knows anything. You just have to laugh.
Or they're not saying.

I said over a month ago on this board I had talked to MG in his office and he said ABX had just started talking to DHL. Everyone blew me off. Now everyone is suprised?

Latest resources

Back