Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know about Starbase Aviation in Ellington Field, TX?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Anyone know about this outfit? How is pay for FO and CA? How do they treat their employees, schedules, benefits, etc.?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stay away. They don't pay the OT they tell you and keep you out on the road and on your day to come home change your schedule so you can stay out some more.

The last I heard they're doing 10 on and 3 off and have to live in HOU.

I know of a couple of guys that flew Legacy contracts for them (a third guy I know is actually VERY experienced on the airplane and used to fly for its owner - - and I believe they told him to get lost even though he knew the plane and family inside and out) and the first two said no way would they work there.

What I hear and this is via others not me:

- Schedule : 12 Days On / 3 Days Off
- Salary for EXPERIENCED Captain : $84,000-$90,000
- The main boss is arrogant beyond description. So is the "Head of Charter Sales" or whatever. They actually spy on the crews and nitpick "PIC Decisions" so-to-speak.
- They have ZERO large aircraft experience.
- NO RVSM Letter for the Legacy they manage.
- NO 135 Certificate for the Legacy after more than 10 weeks.
- Someone from Jets.com remarked: "They're aren't sh**. They've never been sh**. They're never gonna' be sh**."

I dunno.

I sense a lot of bad blood over there. Needless to say I haven't sent a resume' to 'em.

VOLO is just an FBO. Starbase leases offices and hangar space. They got a good deal on the space by giving a handshake agreement to buy as much fuel from VOLO as they can. Turns out the SB aircraft hardly see Ellington field and when they do, they don't tanker much, even though the fuel is cheap there. Needless to say, some frustration between VOLO and starbase. FBO has potential, but upper management is penny pinching, so don't be surprised to find the johns a bit dirty.

Hmmmph. I see Cliff Hyde closed down. He was around forever; nice guy. I had no idea that there was a Delta Academy there; where the old Cont Express used to be.

10 on and 3 off? Guess that changed from 8/6.

I guess I will open a Subway.

Make sure when you apply to JB at starbase you tell him like to rat on your captains

"Continental pilots, I fly into IAH frequently. Also, I have jumpseated in your cockpits many times going into IAH.

Yesterday (March 11, 2009 around sunset), I was going into IAH and the weather was IFR with a small pocket, clear of clouds near the aiport, well inside of the FAF for the westbound runways.

Many of the CAL planes going into IAH were accepting visual approaches going into IAH. How could you guys accept visual approaches at that time? There was no way you could conduct visual approaches. So, ATC tried to pressure us to take a visual approach into RWY 26R. Unfortunately, my captain fell for the bait because ATC threatened to break us off from the approach and re-sequence us. The result was that ATC gave us some wild vector, well inside of OWELL FAF that resulted in an un-stabilized approach that I managed to save. However, both my captain and I were extremely upset.

I have jumpseated many times on CAL in the cockpit. I've seen you accept visual apps into IAH and then fly straight into the clouds which is a violation of the FARs.

So, please CAL pilots, do not accept visual apps going into IAH when conditions are not VFR. You are breaking regs and giving the controllers a false impression that conditions are safe for visual apps when they are not.

IAH controllers, please stop issuing visual apps when conditions are below VFR.

My passengers and I will thank you."

Last edited:
JB would be Joel I take it?

I hear he is a first class tool.

From every single person I have spoken with (I even ran into one of their Captains on a trip once) I would never work there.

The guys jockeying for the job now are only doing it to bridge the gap until they can find something better.

I'm happy to stay put. I'm not alone there.

That said, if any Legacy jockeys wind up going over there I'd love to hear what they think in light of this thread. Some people may bash the place on purpose just to eliminate some of their competition for a job...

>>The result was that ATC gave us some wild vector, well inside of OWELL FAF that resulted in an un-stabilized approach that I managed to save. <<

Saved with go-around I hope?

caseyd

Latest resources

Back