Anyone know about flying in India?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jwes

Does anyone know of anybody flying for one of the India Airlines? and if so do they enjoy it, upgrade time,what is the pay for FO. CA, working conditions, quality of life over there, and which is the best one to get on with. I know their is a big pilot shortage.
These are the airlines I know of:

Air Deccan
Air India
Air India Express
Air Sahara
Alliance Air
Inian Airlines
Kingfisher Airways
Jet Airways
Spice Jet

Any info would be great thanks all.

I know I have a really hard time understanding the controllers when I fly over India. For some reason they seem to be much more difficult to understand than other countries.

Its true, I have never been there and a small vacation would give me the big picture,,,but still anyone with some info?

Ask the question on pprune.org. They are much better equipped to answer your questions.TC

Kingfisher will be looking for ATR drivers soon with their recent order for 20 of the type. The first arrives in March. I think Deccan operates them as well. For expat pilots Sahara, Jet, Kingfisher, and Deccan will be hiring. Captain pay on the A340 is just over $10,000 per month. The Indian pilots I know say that if they were still at Jet/Sahara they would be right around $10,000 per month for 737 Captain.

I'd probably target Kingfisher for the ATR job to get your foot in the door. They look like they are going to be a well capitalized player. If you can get Jet or Sahara to hire you as a Captain on the 737 then go for it. Just remember that Rono and Rakesh are running those two outfits and they both know how to screw pilots over the long run. For those that don't know, Rono Duta ( sp? ) was the President of UAL and Rakesh Gangwal was the President of USAirways. They both failed miserably and have returned to their native country to further create havoc and destruction on a naive airline industry.

I'm assuming you are captain qualified as most expat hiring will be for Captains. They may be desperate enough to hire some expat F.O.s, but I wouldn't count on a seniority type upgrade process.

Draginass is correct. I spent three weeks in India once and came back looking like I'd just been let out of a concentration camp. You have to have an iron stomach to live in that cesspool for any length of time.

TP

Have you ever been to India? If so this question makes the point moot about taking a job there.

If not, listen to the advice above. It is all very accurate.

jwes said:
Does anyone know of anybody flying for one of the India Airlines? and if so do they enjoy it, upgrade time,what is the pay for FO. CA, working conditions, quality of life over there, and which is the best one to get on with. I know their is a big pilot shortage.
These are the airlines I know of:

Air Deccan
Air India
Air India Express
Air Sahara
Alliance Air
Inian Airlines
Kingfisher Airways
Jet Airways
Spice Jet

India is a $hithole...I would only work there as a last resort...never live there though...not matter what.

jwes said:
Its true, I have never been there and a small vacation would give me the big picture,,,but still anyone with some info?

Don't know where you are from but unless youv'e done a lot of traveling to third world countries it will be quite a shock when you first see it. People are freindly but the place is a toilet. In Mumbai (Bombay) the population is around 13 million. 4 million of them are homeless and the rest live in slums that consist of ply board shacks (the rich ones) or cardboard. Lots of nice mosquitoes and flys, open sewers and garbage dumps on every corner.

Did I mention that most ATC comm is done UHF and their SEL CAL never works? That should be enough to persuade you right there. They do have some nice golf courses though.

Latest resources

Back