• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone interview at Mesaba recently?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heres another question: that wonderfull-lick test.....on the gouge many have said to answer as many as you can. The number wrong DOES'NT count against you! Can anyone verify this? If this were the case, why does'nt everybody just finish it (right or wrong) without any thought?! I cant imagine getting 50 questions wrong would not be held against you!!!!

I don’t subscribe to that theory of ‘answer as many as you can’. I say answer as many ‘right’ as you can. Because, if you get in that mindset of just answering for the sake of answering, and not even taking time to figure out a questions, most of your answers would be wrong. If you just randomly start writing down answers, based on ‘Monkey’ statistics for the ‘multiple-choice’ questionnaire, you’d still get about 7.5 right out of 50.

All my life I have done these kinds of tests and still I took my time. I’m sure I got most of them right – mostly math questions – and I could only make it to 25 or 26.

Any test I take, I immediately divide questions in easy/hard parts. Then math/non-math questions and go at it. Granted 12 minutes is not much time, but you’d do well if you answer 20 questions right. Even though I think I got most of them right, but I’m POSITIVE that I got at least 20 out of 25 right.

Best advice. Come in prepared, have a good attitude. BE YOURSELF!!!! Don't sweat the test stuff. The majority of the people who interview have the same skills. The biggest issue is humility. Think about your past jobs/internships etc. Be prepared to talk about high points AND low points. They are not looking for the next "Chuck Yeager" they want someone works hard and faces challenges head on. If you don't know a technical answer, don't BS it. Admit the truth and tell how you would find the right answer. If you screw up in the sim, "fly the plane" keep it safe. They are looking for sound judgement. It's the age old question... Would I want my family to fly with you?

These guys interviewing you at XJ or any airline are not out to bust your chops. It's like speed dating, come in and shine, show em your best and have fun with it. You might get lucky :)

Best advice. Come in prepared, have a good attitude. BE YOURSELF!!!! Don't sweat the test stuff. The majority of the people who interview have the same skills. The biggest issue is humility. Think about your past jobs/internships etc. Be prepared to talk about high points AND low points. They are not looking for the next "Chuck Yeager" they want someone works hard and faces challenges head on. If you don't know a technical answer, don't BS it. Admit the truth and tell how you would find the right answer. If you screw up in the sim, "fly the plane" keep it safe. They are looking for sound judgement. It's the age old question... Would I want my family to fly with you?

These guys interviewing you at XJ or any airline are not out to bust your chops. It's like speed dating, come in and shine, show em your best and have fun with it. You might get lucky :)

Well Said!
I've posted the experience where I'm supposed to.

Nevermind... Just answer the questions correctly. The Wonderlick is scored, as is any other test, buy the number of questions correctly answered.

If you answer 50 questions but only get 20 right. You score a 20. If you answer only 25 and all of them are right, you score a 25.

Last edited:
are the newbies getting the Saab or the RJ?

Probably the RJ since any returning furlough (other than about 4 from the first recall attempt) are being returned to the Saab... So maybe for once they will be fully staffed on the Saab for a few weeks.

Any new rumours on what the new deal is with 07-02 revised vacancy for 150 saab FO's with 170 FO's in MEM. I assume an attempt to recall everyone one last time and then pip the one who dont return?

I was looking through the most current 07-01 award, and it looked like 9 furloughees that were awarded class dates quit. (By comparing it to the new Seniority List) This included 7 of those bottom 8 guys that got awarded MEM. I'd think plenty of the pilots that have been out for over a year won't come back, especially if they don't live in MSP, MEM or DTW. The people from Aug/Sept '06 I'm sure are much more likely to come back.

My guess is once all these people finish Saab FO class, there will be a large Saab upgrade class, to replace guys going to the 900. I'm sure they want to be ahead of the game. I think plenty of people will be dispersed before there actually is 170 FOs in MEM.

I guess the class dates for all 150 people (if they get 150 to come back) is April 2nd and April 9th. Sounds like a big sim back-up to me!

Last edited:
I was looking through the most current 07-01 award, and it looked like 9 furloughees that were awarded class dates quit. (By comparing it to the new Seniority List) This included 7 of those bottom 8 guys that got awarded MEM. I'd think plenty of the pilots that have been out for over a year won't come back, especially if they don't live in MSP, MEM or DTW. The people from Aug/Sept '06 I'm sure are much more likely to come back.

My guess is once all these people finish Saab FO class, there will be a large Saab upgrade class, to replace guys going to the 900. I'm sure they want to be ahead of the game. I think plenty of people will be dispersed before there actually is 170 FOs in MEM.

I guess the class dates for all 150 people (if they get 150 to come back) is April 2nd and April 9th. Sounds like a big sim back-up to me!

On the bad side of everyone coming back I wouldn't quite hit the 500's in seniority. On the good side that could make for another nice paid summer vacation, this time with the jumpseat available. Hmmm finish groundschool april 27, start sim september 3.... I could handle that.

Nevermind... Just answer the questions correctly. The Wonderlick is scored, as is any other test, buy the number of questions correctly answered.

If you answer 50 questions but only get 20 right. You score a 20. If you answer only 25 and all of them are right, you score a 25.

If you do some reading about the 'Learning Process', you'd learn that the above post is the very reason why the test score [of any kind and level] have dropped alarmingly over the past 20 years. Students are increasingly becoming more interested in the 'techniques' of taking the test rather than mastering the subject matter.

For me, I wish we could do away with 'multiple-type' questions. Imagine taking a PPL/IR/CAX/CFII/ATP, etc., tests with no choices of answers given.

Shaheen

Latest resources

Back