• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ted Striker

Piece of the Portfolio
48 safely evacuated from ASA flight
after landing gear collapses at Hartsfield; runway reopens

By SAEED AHMED
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Air traffic was moving smoothly this morning at Hartsfield International Airport, after an Atlantic Southeast Airlines flight veered off the runway after landing Sunday night when its left landing gear collapsed, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman said.

None of the 45 passengers and three crew members were injured as ASA Flight 4509 landed as scheduled around 9:40 p.m., said FAA and Delta representatives. ASA is a Delta carrier.

The problem developed "upon landing," said Kathleen Bergen of FAA. She said she didn't know if the breakdown occurred as the plane was landing or was taxiing. Delta's Emily Wharton said she was told the plane stopped on the runway after the gear collapsed.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the case. The accident forced the closing of the runway throughout the night. The plane was removed, and the runway reopened at 5:45 a.m. today, Bergen said.

The flight left Baltimore/Washington International Airport around 7:40 p.m. for the nearly two-hour, 576-mile trip.

48 safely evacuated from ASA flight

Airplane type???

Nope, but I wanted to know if it was a -200 (40/50 seats) or the -700 (70 seats) series CRJ.

CRJ-200

50 seater... CRJ-200. I have heard (heard, mind you..) that is was ship 849, the one with Stone Mountain painted on the side.

That would explain why the taxi out on my commute flight to Dallas took 1 hr that late on a Sunday.

I also heard it was ship 849. Only one person had a minor injury on the evacuation according to the company press release. Not to bad.

(Sorry, hit the enter key to soon!)

Last edited:
It was indeed 849, the one with the scoop of cookies 'n' cream on the side. Just that one minor injury, thank God. When I went to pick up my release, the gate agent told me that BWI "went down", so for about 10 minutes I thought we had one in the dirt until I went to ops and got the story for myself. I had to go back and correct her before she told anyone else, but she had already repeated the story to several other crewmembers. She didn't mean any harm, it's just that's what she was told. Poor thing was shaking like a leaf.

Things were EXTREMELY fubar last night, but it had very little to do with the accident. Those of you at ASA know what I'm talkin' 'bout. I had a short chat with one of the CPs this morning who said that things are starting to happen with regard to that.

Latest resources

Back