Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone have better luck hot starting Lycoming IO-540 (1999 C-182)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BlueLight

Hot days + hot engine + fuel injected + Lycoming don't mix well.

POH says to assume engine is flooded after no start and then go full lean + full open throttle and attempt start. This procedure has been hit or miss with mostly miss.

Any pearls of wisdom out there from IO540 FI owners?

Yes on the full lean no on the full throttle I have better luck with fuel injected Lycomings with the throttle open about one inch on a hot start. You have to get the mixture in the second it fires or it will not start and need a prime.

I do 1/2 open throttle and mixture at cutoff. Usually takes 10 - 12 blades but always fires. Must get mixture in and throttle out quickly once it fires.

Mixture lean throttle back, let the prop turn over 3 times if it doesn't catch go to full throttle, when it catches mixture rich and throttle back. Crank max of about 10 times then let starter cool. Next attempt , prime a little, then start with throttle full, and mixture back. It should catch and you will be on your way. Used to work great on the Aztec-IO-540-C4B5

I've found on IO-520s and 550s:

Mixture: Idle/CO
Throttle Closed
Fuel pump on for about 30secons

them start normally w/ a shot of prie.

Don't know if the 182 has a fuel pump but running them helps get the air bubbles out of the system before starting.

But have a get a little gas in there and as said before, close mixture and throttle. Open throittle about an inch and when it hits, full mixture now. Might check the timing also. That tends to hurt starting.

Latest resources

Back