Anyone had Plantar Faciitis?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CorpCaptain

Figured with all the runners on this fourm there would be someone with some information on Plantar Faciiitis. Blew mine out last week, finally got the run down today from the Doc. The short of it is not only a day walking boot, but also one for night. My question is for anyone who has had it, did you continue to work in the boot or went on short term disability. I was told by my AME that I could continue working and take the boot off for flying but im not sure yet what my boss will think of his pilot limping around the airport with a boot on. Outlook is for 4-8 weeks walking in the boot(s). Thanks for any input-
Corp

I have had it for years. Running race injury. never missed a flight due to foot injury. Lots of in house therapy freeze a small bottle of water keep one with you while on the road most hotels have mini fridge so you can continue treatments while working. Place the frozen bottle on a soft surface place your foot on top and slowly roll the foot back and forth over the inflamed area.
If the hotel has a hot tub use the hot aqua therapy along with the ice treatment you may never be totaly pain free but with steaching exercises along with insoles flying should not be a problem.

Also had it for years. Whenever possible on breaks, hotel, etc take the weight off your foot and elevate it like in a reclining chair. Do what ditchpilot says also.

In one extreme episode I had the foot doctor give me steroid shot in the foot. That was painful going in!

Also padded insoles.

Thanks for the input. I have completely ruptured mine so im going to be in a boot for awhile. Considering the TOPAZ treatment, supposed to have you walking again within 2 days. Bad news is that its not covered by most insurance. Doesnt look comfortable but if it works, might be the only option.

All good tips., I had it pretty bad.. the Dr told me he would make inserts for my insteps, the cost was high... So I went to the Dr Schols machine at the local Walmart for $49 where it measures your weight distribution.... Anyway, I've used them for 4 years now and never had the problem again. Just thought I'd pass that along.

SuperFeet(about $40) inserts changed my life, Available at Backpacking/Full Service Shoe stores, for the first pair go and get measured/fitted properly(arch length/height) after you know your size, buy them on the internet.. They feel like a brick in your shoe the first time you wear them, gradually break yourself into them over a couple of weeks and you will never wear shoes without them. Try them before spending $$$ on custom orthodics.

Latest resources

Back