Anyone flying Lear 60's to Hawaii?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capnflyright

Our company is contemplating purchasing a Lear 60. I would appreciate any feedback concerning operating costs and the IFR range of the airplane. Thank you.

Straight line distance from SFO (closest) to HNL is 2084 nm. From Seattle it is 2328 nm. The stated range for the LR60 is 2500 miles. I'd assume that is nm, but you never know. On a calm summer day, I think going out of SFO shouldn't be a problem, assuming everything is working, and in ETOPS type operations. However, if a strong wind kicks up, as it almost always does in the winter, SFO would be chancy, and SEA out of the question.

In the DC-10 I've seen westbound times range from 4.5 to over 6 hours. That's more than a 25% difference. And winds can easily hit 150kts on the nose. With a slower airplane like a Lear, your exposure is longer, and your range less. Honestly, the only business aircraft I've seen going across the pond are Gulfstreams, Challengers, and a few Falcons.

Probably the best source of information would be the NBAA. The have charts and info on all the biz-jets, and what (following their guidelines) they are capable of.

HAL

There was a story I heard about a Lear 36 crew (Phoenix aviation) who had just enough fuel to get there from SFO. The winds changed on them halfway. They started to fully realize the fuel situation and the fact that they were going to run out, even if they turned back to SFO(they had gone far beyond their radius of action). So they decided to keep on towards HI because the water was warmer in case they had to ditch. They flamed out really high up and were able to glide from 410 to Hickum field. True story, even though I may have left out a few details.

If anyone knows more about this legendary story, please fill in the gaps.

I have a good friend flying a 60. He is a true LJ pilot to the core, having flown ambulance in a 24, 25d, 35s and 31a for years. Now he has upgraded to the 60 and told me the other day that it is an awesome machine.

Good luck.

Flyer7sa

Yes...the 60 is an awesome machine! However, like HAL said who know's what mother nature can throw at you....even on a calm summer day. I know for a fact that it's been done in 60's before...but it's risky. If an operator asked me to fly there in a 60 I'd decline. If your company or clients do business in HNL on a regular basis I would steer them in the direction of a Continental, G-200, or Challenger. Otherwise the 60 is the most bang for your buck for BOTH the pilots and pax.

A Falcon 50 would work also.... The straight 50 has about a 3000 NM range and the 50EX has about a 3200 NM range..... And the best part is if you lose an engine, the effect on range is negligable.... You'll just be a bit later for your Pina Colada....

Even better, the Falcon 900EX. 4,500nm range, no ETOPS requirements and the loss of an engine has little or no effect on the range, you just get there a little later.

Under certian conditions you can actually get more range by shuting down the #2 engine. This is not approved SOP of course.

Latest resources

Back