Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Flying 121 or corporate and still going to college?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I have my college degree but I was interested in taking some university courses this fall. Most university courses are Monday though Friday during the day. I just started with a 121 carrier, so I am not able to adjust my schedule that much since I do not have that much seniority. Is there anyway to take a college course and still work as a 121 pilot? I was thinking of maybe staying on reserve. Also, I was thinking about trying to arrange my schedule for day trips and maybe taking a course in the evening. Maybe explaining my situation to my professor. Also, what do you think of correspondance? I am not interested in taking courses via the internet. Please let me know what you think...especially pilots that are actually doing this :p

your_dreamguy said:
I am not interested in taking courses via the internet.

That's really the only way you can do it if your 121, IMHO. It's about the easiest thing in the world, and doesn't even require you to plug in every night. Just do the reading, throw a few posts on the message board each semester, take an (online) midterm and final, and maybe write a paper. It's absolutely the best return on your time.

Not sure where you are working but I bet it could be done at a slow pace.

I've thought about going back to school, but the thought of studying makes my stomach turn. :)

Maybe you could look into one of those courses for people who have real jobs currently. Pick a class that meets on Wednesday evenings and just bid for the crappy lines that have you working over the weekends, thus giving you a mid-day of the week off.

I went back to school to finish my bachelors degree while working as an F/A for a 121 carrier. I had about 30 hours left and finished in two regular semesters and one summer school semester. Don't know what school you're interested in, but I went to the University of Texas at San Antonio and they offered some Monday and Wednesday classes and Tuesday and Thursday classes.

I was pretty new at SWA at the time and could only hold weekends anyway, so I would fly Fri-Sat-Sun and go to class Monday through Thursday. Worked out pretty well. The profs were always real understanding as well. They would cut someone with a full time job that was paying their own way through school (me) a lot more slack than the trust fund babies that couldn't make it to class because they partied too much the night before. It was actually the easiest time I ever had in college. Before I started at SWA, I was working as a CSA and ramp agent for a regional and we had mandatory overtime every week. So, between working 50 hours per week and taking a 12 hour load of classes, I didn't sleep very much. My grades actually improved while going to school and flying since I actually got enough sleep every night and had time to study.

It can be done. I've known several flight attendants who were going to grad school, law school and even one that was going to medical school while flying. I'd like to go back someday myself and get another bachelors or masters degree if I can ever get my flying career going. Good luck to you and kudos for wanting to continue your education.

lowlycfi said:
It can be done. I've known several flight attendants who were going to grad school, law school and even one that was going to medical school while flying.

medical school? not sure how you'd pull that off.

mayday1 said:
medical school? not sure how you'd pull that off.

She gave most of her trips away. Usually flew two 3-days per month. She finally quit when she started her internship.

Latest resources

Back