Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dav8or

DV8N4WX
I live on an airpark and I'm building an RV8 that is 5 years from flying. I've been thinking about getting an cheap ultra light just to fly around the neighborhood until the RV is flying. Living on an airpark without a plane is like living at the lake and not having a boat.

I'm looking at about 10k, folding wings are a must at this time and two seats( it's no fun if you can't scare someone else.) Any suggestions?

PS does anyone think that there should be scope language for ultra light and experimental aircraft to protect the flying that is done by Cessnas and Pipers:D :D

dav8or - cut all you want into Cessnas and Pipers, but you better not cut into my Duchess flying! Of course, if I lose my medical, I expect you to hand the ultralight flying over to me! :D

I'm just trying to develope routes with the ultra light that will be turned over to the bigger planes:D More ultra lights and sport planes = more Cessnas

BTW my neighbors will be pi$$ed that I'm doing flying that belongs to them but there is nothing they can do about it. Most of thier wives have tight contract limitations on the type and number of aircraft they can opporate.

bigD said:
dav8or - cut all you want into Cessnas and Pipers, but you better not cut into my Duchess flying! Of course, if I lose my medical, I expect you to hand the ultralight flying over to me! :D

There won't be any flow back! If you fly the ultra light you start on the bottom of the list. :D

Have you looked into Flex-Wing Trikes? They are much more fun to fly than a Kolb (however if you want a 3 axia ul, the Kolb is the way to go). Trikes all have folding wings (set up time is 5-25 mins depending on the wing), take off in about 200 feet and burn about 2.5 gph. All have an open cockpit, so if you live somewhere warm this is a plus.

Personally, I find that trike flying is probably the most fun type of flying I know, second only to my powered paraglider that I fly as often as I can.

Saw the 2 seat Kolb at Osh and it made a 90 degree turn off the runway about 2 seconds after touchdown. Very impressive. Although I don't think it qualifies in the UL category. I think ULs are restricted by weight, fuel and having only 1 seat. I think it would make an excellent choice for your situation.

What airpark do you live on, dav8or?

I know you asked about UL's with folding wings for ~$10K, but the Rotax powered planes sure make an annoying racket. You sure you couldn't get a Champ, Luscombe, 120?? How about a Kitfox? Folding wings with a choice of Rotax or 4-cycle - probably too pricey though.

Good luck with the -8. There aren't many planes more honest to build or fly.

aggiepilot87 said:

You sure you couldn't get a Champ, Luscombe, 120?? How about a Kitfox?

Luscombe's are getting pricey. A few freinds are trying to stear me onto 140's or Taylorcrafts but I'm not into the vintage birds. The Kolb will be Sport Aircraft ready and I have a few partners already lined up to help with the dollars if I get that type a/c.

Latest resources

Back