Anyone fly a Cessna 195 or J-3 Cub

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

I'm thinking about getting my tailwheel endorsement is a J-3 cub, and later using the FBO's Cessna 195. Is the 195 a lot to handle for a low time pilot (95 hours 20 multi)? Thanks for any help and advice and 195 drivers could give.

I have never flown a 195, but I have a lot of time in a J-3 and a C180. The 180 is a lot to handle for a low time pilot and is not advisable until you gain some really good tail wheel experience. The J-3 on the other hand is a beauty!!! Great airplane. That is what I got my TW endorsment inand I loved that thing. I loved the 180 also...Really powerfull and can land and take off in someones backyard just about. Need anymore info let me know.

SD

The Cub is a fun plane. Nothing like flying around with the Door open, no radio, no nav, no AI. Just flying the way it was meant to be.

Ultimately I think my perfect job would be flying the Super Cub for the border patrol. Flying low over the desert, looking for people trying to run the border.

Learned in a Luscombe 8-A N77842, have flown J-3, Champ, Super-duper Cub, C-180, C-185, Helio Courier,C-170,C-140, BE-18 and the wonderful DC-3. They all fly great.

I forgot I have flown the 195 a couple of times. I was a little nervous at the time, I had about 1000 hours. It had a bad rep. and I didn't want to scew up. It wheel landed nice but had a springy gear, I didn't find it any harder than any other tailwheel airplane that I had flown.

I'd suggest you get really proficient with the Cub, then transistion to the 195 after quite a few hours. If you can, try to get some time in a Cessna 120/140 or 170 to get used to the spring steel gear legs- the bungee of the cub is much more forgiving. Try to make your first few efforts with the 195 on turf as that is more forgiving than asphalt.
Or why not get your endorsement in the 195, if the price isn't much different?
Best of luck.

I'm curious - what are your FBO's insurance requirements to rent the 195? I've never flown one, but everyone always says it's a lot to handle. Who knows, though?

The cub is an awesome airplane. Nothing like getting back to the roots of it all!

I am curious too. I am a little surprised they rent out the 195. I got my endorsement in a L-3E, then flew the Stinson 108, J-3,Stearman,and travelair. I too have been told the 195 is unforgiving. The vis is not that good when you taxi (worse than other tailwheel), the gear is springy, and it has a lot of power.

AAflyer,

Remember you are not done flying a tail-wheel till it is tied down.

When I was instructing, would go and hang out at the GA hangars sometimes and talk to folks. I talked to a guy who had a 195. I asked him how he liked it, and he said, it's a breeze to fly, if you got a lot of time in 180's and flying round engines. I thought it was a funny comment because he said it as if everyone out there is fortunate enough to have a bunch of time in radials and big cessna taildraggers. He said the round engine can kind of throw you off since you don't have a flat cowl edge to compare to the horizon. I've never really though of that, but it makes sense.

I would recommend getting pretty comfortable in the cub before going to the 195. I must say I love the back seat in the 195. It looks like it came out of a buick.

Cougar,

Whomever told you that the 195 is a more challenging airplane didn't have experience in other aircraft to make a good comparison. There are much more challenging airplanes out there.

The cub will be a good intro airplane for you. Get comfortable in that before moving up.

The crosswind gear found on most 195's can throw you if you're not prepared for it. There's nothing inherently challenging or special about flying a round engine, except that you need to use proper techniques. None of this throwing the power in quickly when you want it, or pulling it to idle for descent. Round engines are easy enough to operate, but don't tolerate poor pilot technique.

The 20 hours of multi won't make any difference for you in terms of learning to fly a conventional gear airplane.

I'm surprised that the flying club would consider renting the 195 to low time pilots. Have you enquired about the insurance requirements? Generally these will dictate what you can and can't do, and the experience level required to check out in the airplane. The FAA can do what it likes, but it's the insurance companies that run the show.

Latest resources

Back