Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone DE-ICE leaving KEGE on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are 5 different TYPE I fluids that they make, they are all Orange. If the fluids are mixed wrong...or DILUTED "hint-hint"....it will be too strong and could stain anything and freeze to the aircraft. If they are diluted...it will instantly freeze to the aircrafts surface as you accelerate down the runway and stay there the entire flight till you either descend into warmer air and it slowly melts away, or until you wash it off after landing. As we all know, its supposed to shed off the aircraft completely while accelerating.

I've been following this thread, and I'm glad to read that: a) your flight ended safely; and b) that it appears you don't have any permanent paint damage.

However, I don't understand your point of 'DILUTED "hint-hint"'. Type I is normally applied diluted 50/50 with water and applied hot. Do you believe they diluted the Type I to a concentration of LESS than 50/50?

I don't think it was ice. It was the de-icing fluid.

Had it happen to me on a C310 once coming out of Trenton, New Jersey. Took about an hour to be able to see enough out of the window; very unnerving not knowing if you will be able to see on landing.

Yup, crappy feeling isn't it. Nothing quite feels as bad when you literally cannot see out.

I've been following this thread, and I'm glad to read that: a) your flight ended safely; and b) that it appears you don't have any permanent paint damage.

However, I don't understand your point of 'DILUTED "hint-hint"'. Type I is normally applied diluted 50/50 with water and applied hot. Do you believe they diluted the Type I to a concentration of LESS than 50/50?

You tell me man. Nice way to save money on expensive de-ice fluid.

There is no way someone is going to tell me that de-ice fluid is supposed to freeze instantly and completely haze the windshield as you reach about 80-90 kts, like it did to us. I've been de-iced 100 times all over the world and it has always shed right off during acceleration, clear as a bell, regardless if I was in Anchorage, JFK, Vail, etc..., in ridiculously cold weather, just 32*F weather, or even in cold drizzle weather. Doesn't matter, it always shed right off.

Not saying it was diluted "purposely" to an improper mix...but after talking to a Dow rep and about a dozen very experienced pilots and my own experiences with de-ice fluid for a decade+......what else can it possibly be???

The purpose of mixing it to the manufacturers specs is so it does not freeze. It froze. Too much water in the mix will cause it to freeze. And accelerating down the runway drops the temp suddenly as it spreads out across the windshield, allowing it to freeze easier because its thinner. Just seems logical.

Its liek the alcohol I pumped out. It was crazy cold up there when I pumped it out. It never froze, even up there at cruise speed. Its mixed properly and cannot freeze. So it shed completely away, over time, after I shut it off.

Last edited:
Front Range Airport and hangar may help even the odds, to avoid these issues

To make it short and simple about hangar space.

-We were promised hangar space 2-3 days before we were going to leave.
-That promise was made to us 2 weeks in advance.
-Its Vail.
-It never got put in.

Yeah, I was curious by that too. If you "dilute" something, you are making it weaker not stronger. Are you implying that they diluted it to the imporper specs?

You tell me man. Nice way to save money on expensive de-ice fluid.

There is no way someone is going to tell me that de-ice fluid is supposed to freeze instantly and completely haze the windshield as you reach about 80-90 kts, like it did to us. I've been de-iced 100 times all over the world and it has always shed right off during acceleration, clear as a bell, regardless if I was in Anchorage, JFK, Vail, etc..., in ridiculously cold weather, just 32*F weather, or even in cold drizzle weather. Doesn't matter, it always shed right off.

Not saying it was diluted "purposely" to an improper mix...but after talking to a Dow rep and about a dozen very experienced pilots and my own experiences with de-ice fluid for a decade+......what else can it possibly be???

The purpose of mixing it to the manufacturers specs is so it does not freeze. It froze. Too much water in the mix will cause it to freeze. And accelerating down the runway drops the temp suddenly as it spreads out across the windshield, allowing it to freeze easier because its thinner. Just seems logical.

Its liek the alcohol I pumped out. It was crazy cold up there when I pumped it out. It never froze, even up there at cruise speed. Its mixed properly and cannot freeze. So it shed completely away, over time, after I shut it off.

Disregard my last post/questions.....should have kept reading.

"Trust, but verify"

As a repsonsible pilot should do....I called for 4 days making sure it would get put in 2 days before departure. Promised further each time I called. Every time I called to verify it got done, just more promises. Called up to the last day before departure....promises, promises....are really lies, lies.

Latest resources

Back