Anyone been to Rio lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rounder

I'm looking for any info on where to stay, on the beach or downtown? What there is going on at night? Any general information would be nice.

i havnet been yet, but i know there lots going on at night....and at day.Go to tghe disco HELP in copacabana i think, full of girls "working"

ok, here's my 2c

Been there a couple a times, and as long as i'm married will be going again...that's where my wife's from. So, needless to say, never been there as a single dude. :(:(:(:( But for what it's worth, here's my advice.

Rio is divided into several zones. The happening one is the south one (Zona sul). This area includes Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon. If you can afford it, stay at Leblon, by far the safest area (it's expensive), and still on the beach. Ipanema is ok, very good restaurants and shops there (remember, i'm married :rolleyes: ). Copacabana is a DUMP, a bunch old dive bars with pickpockets galore. This HELP joint the other guy mentioned is a has-been dump with nasty prostitutes feeding on the gringos, but if that's your thing...

The girls in rio are like none other. Try the beach and you'll see what i mean. Go to the shopping center in the Barra region to see the hottest dressed-up mall girls you'll ever find. Barra is also the upscale area...there's a really cool grass airfield there with kitplanes, very busy on the weekend. I'm not a club dude, but if you like bars you'll find plenty in Leblon and Gávia (next to each other), and the bars are a happening place with live music.

And if you're into turisty stuff you HAVE to go sugar loaf, the best view ever. To see a 737 takeoff BELOW you is something else (SDU). The Christ statue is actually higher but i don't like the view as much, hazier, less visibility.

There you have it....where's my commission??? :smash:

Got back from Rio this morning! It is my favorite place on the planet. Once I met Brazilian girls, I lost all patience with American women.

The advice Crash-Proof gives is all good. Stay in Ipanema or Leblon. Ipanema is more convenient. There is no reason to go club Help and deal with the hookers when real Brazilian women are so wonderful and friendly.

A good web site to get advice is www.ipanema.com

Some more recommendations:
For drinking Lord Jims Pub, Shenanigans, Emporio are easy starters for americans. For more authentic bars try the Clipper Bar or Bar Bracarense -these are botequims. A Botequim is basically a counter with plastic chairs on the sidewalk where the locals gather. Gavea and Lapa are neighborhoods with lots these places.

Try Acai, Caipainhas(sp), feijoada

For shopping go to the malls in Barra or shops in Ipanema.

Sugar loaf and Christo Redemptor are both great abeit touristy.

Sorry I don't have any lodging recommendations, I've been renting an apartment when in town.

One more tip, try not to look like a dorky tourist. A perfect example was the guy I saw walking down Copacabana beach Monday with a Gulfstream hat and a Sheltaire shirt.

Latest resources

Back