Anybody know about this?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetlag

I heard from a friend the other day that people that were being hired at his company were receiving grant money from some kind of emergency relief fund to get type ratings.They lost their jobs because of 9/11. Any have any info on this would be greatly appreciated.:)

Workforce Investment Act

Maybe your friend told you about this program. This is a federal program that provides retraining for displaced workers. E.g., pilots can apply for funds and buy type ratings, etc. Undoubtedly, as with any government program, you'd have to jump through numerous hoops to obtain a grant.

Try calling your local State Division of Employment and Labor and/or unemployment office for information.

Hope that helps.

There was a thread going on a while back...title was something like boeing 737 type ratings for furloughed pilots...

Through the WIA (Worker Investment Act), mucho $$ is available for things like type ratings for laid off pilots. In Arizona, the deal is you need to be "laid off/furloughed" and have an active unemployment claim on file with the department of economic security...then you need to go through an "introduction and intake" to the WIA program. After that's done, they send you to a career counselor. To that meeting, you bring info you've researched on department of education approved schools (in AZ, both K&S Aviation and PremAir are approved for 737 types)...you discuss costs, etc, and it's a done deal. My friend did this and she had $6,000 funded for her type and had to pay $1500 out of pocket...not a bad deal.

I know this program is available in other states, but the general premise should be the same.

Hope that helps.

In Arizonia you also need to already have your ATP rating to qualify as well, but I think the programs already run out of funding for this year.

Latest resources

Back