Anybody here fly a Citiation 3?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxFlyr

My boss is looking at getting a different jet in the $3-3.5mil range and is leaning towards the Citiation 3(this week). Is there anybody here that flys one that can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly? He said he spoke to someone that said there had been problems with the 3s engines, has anyone heard anything about that? I would also like to know what kind of range you would have coming out of a 5000' strip on a 80 degree day at sea level. All replies will be greatly aprieciated. Boxflyr

good speed, but can eat up rwy and not so good climb. get one w/ an inflight apu w/ hydraulic pump if you do go in that direction. the -3c and -3cr (apr) engines are good.

quite a few variations between serial #'s as far as weight, equipment, not so much on limitations but they do vary, just get a later serial # and everything is better.

you can get out of a 5000' rwy just barely at 25C at 21,000 pounds (22,000 max) w/ engine bleed air off, again get an inflight apu

Thanks for the info FR8FO. FlierDude, yes my spelling sucks, where where you when I needed you in high school?

c3

I have about 3000hrs in the 3.. Awesome plane..

On shorter runways I would limit my fuel loads but could make up for it with a climb to 43 or 45 and long range cruise.

5000 ft at sl with 25c should not cause to many issues.

The motors are fine.. TFE 731's are super reliable.. Make sure you get the 3cr's they have a higer itt limit that will come in handy on isa+ days. Most have APR that will give you better numbers.

Awesome brakes, soft trailing link gear, boosted roll spoilers make it a 2 finger plane, huge baggage, small lav, lots of headroom

There is a flood cooling mod that are installed on some of the planes.. The apu cooling is only marginal without this mod.

Make sure you do a full cessna service center pre buy.. Engine pylon cracks are common and check the forward bulkhead for cracks.. Also the tail will develop cracks if the hot rod pilot flies the jet at or over MMO over an extended period of time. ( Yes we had a guy that would pull the overspeed and descend at .87-.88 his plane had cracks in the vertical)

SPZ650 autopilot fd is installed in most aircraft.. Some of the later models had the spz8000 that had a better ap and updateed avionics same as the citation 7 and the same package that was used in the GIII.

Also Wemac Boost is not standard on the earlier models

Last edited:
I've flown 'em with steam gauges and EFIS, all the same to me.

There are about 12 different APU ACM combinations, the flood mod
REALLY helps. MGTOW varied between 20,500-22,000 the most
common at 21,500.

Major runway hog. Easy to fly. if you can't land right with the trailing
link gear, just hang it up.

the 7 had the better window heat.The 3 still had the crappy (sorry)
pull out lav.

I never heard about the pylon crack problem, it's amazing that some
asshat would overspeed to save (mabie) a minute.

It was a hangar queen, damn thing needs scheduled inspections
every time i turn around.

CE

(still miss it)

Latest resources

Back