Anybody flown a Diamond Twinstar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Just curious if anyone here has flown a Diamond Twinstar? How difficult are they to fly or to transition to? What are one of these birds going for rental?

thanks

Yes, they are nice took one on a demo ride it's a little bit small though.

didnt fly it, but looked at them several times and noticed there put together like a daewoo inside and out. They might be nice to fly but, the plastic isnt cut right. also anyone over 6' is going to have problems getting a headset on.

I'm 5'9" and hit the top of the canopy several times, but I also sat on a 1/2" Oregon Aero cushion.

From a Cirrus to a Twinstar is not much of a transition, other than which knob does what. From a normal yoke to a Twinstar might take a few minutes.

The particular one I flew needed a lot of right rudder whenever the gear was extended and the rudder trim was quite stiff. The instructor kept attempting to stop my trying to use it, but once I got the thing in rudder trim OEI or with both operating, it was quite nice.

Rate is $295 locally.

The particular one I flew needed a lot of right rudder whenever the gear was extended and the rudder trim was quite stiff.

Rate is $295 locally.

They're all like that. I really takes a lot of rudder all the time to stay coordinated. It's not done for you like on a Cirrus or Bonanza. Rudder discipline is far and away the biggest problem I have with students in the DA42. IMO, it'll be a real airplane when they bump it up another 25hp per side (which I'm sure they will do in a few years). Then it'll be an honest 200 knot twin that climbs like a raped ape. Until then, it's a cool looking, fun to fly 'technology demonstrator' that really sips fuel.

BTW, $295 is about right. The airplane has to fly impossible hours to be profitable at much less. Anyone who is renting them for $205 or even $250 is paying you to put time on the clock and probably totally screwing an unsuspecting leaseback owner.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back