Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody ever made a life of being on the road?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar,

this is an excellent post which I think resonates with many pilots, myself included. I used to think quite a bit about the same sort of thing. Ultimately I've decided that a true "life on road" is not for me, nor is it for most people. I think that it can be made to work, but you need to take a brutally honest look at yourself first. Is it truly about doing what you want, or is it about escape? Ultimately we are social creatures. And drinking wine in Paris is much more fun when shared with an old friend or special someone. Can you keep the important relationships in your life alive and well while living on the road? Do you make deep friendships quickly? Do you keep in touch? If you cannot keep the important people in your life, then it will be very very lonely. Perhaps you are in the very rare minority and can meet someone who would be willing and able to share your nomad lifestyle.

Most people are not programmed to work this way. We feel more comfortable in a community where we can have a social life without forcing it. Where we can know the names of people we happen to run into. Go to the same church, or club, or local bar. Where we can let lifelong friendships and romantic relationships grow from a foundation of shared experience. If that sort of living doesn't appeal to you, then maybe a life on the road would be better. But again take a hard look at yourself. If it's "running away", if you are depressed or suffering from a social anxiety disorder, if your current relationships are dysfunctional, then things are not going to be better on the road, they'll be worse.

It sounds romantic to be a "rolling stone". But then again it sounds romantic to have the blues.

you should fly a tanker!

Mar, I lived three years without a home, and it's fun for a while but it will start to wear on ya.Try it out, you can always make a home someplace, and unless your whole family has been killed off you will always have a home of sorts. See ya on the road!

I already checked that box, my friend

MTpilot I used to fly around in a DC6 with 5000 gals of kerosene in the back.

And I never spilled a drop (yeah right).

Thanks to everyone for their *very* insightful replies. I even got a few PMs and all of it has given me quite a bit to think about.

As someone pointed out, I basically live on the road right now. But I suppose I never fully realized it because (internally) I keep defaulting into the Home Owner, Married With Kids, Dad grove.

I guess a few things served as catalyst for this topic.

1) I'll be 38 next year. In other words, 40 soon, and just now thinking about retirement having almost recovered from financial ruin that started when I got out of college.

2) I have been searching for a house (with not much luck).

3) The Road has taken its toll but like an addict I suppose I willingly pay the toll, as someone else said, to see what's over the next hill.

In sum, I guess I'd have to say, Life is about opportunity and right now I have a great opportunity so I might as well exploit it for everything it's worth.

On the other hand, nothing is forever. Change is inevitable.

And I think I've used all of my cliche's for the day, so I'm gonna check out the other forums and then go take a walk.

See you later.

Latest resources

Back