Anybody ever flown a Pietenpol?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Just wondering what your thoughts on a Pietenpol are? Was thinking about building one, one of these days. Facts like space for somebody that is 6'3 weight restrictions etc.......

Thanks

I"ve flown one, but it's been a lot of years ago...

I'm 6', and probably weighed under 200 lbs at the time, and it did all right.

"Being" in them, and "getting" into them are two entirely different topics, however ;)

I would suggest finding somebody that owns one and getting a demo flight...I can't imagine a Piet owner NOT willing to share :)

Fly safe!

David

I flew one with a 65HP Cont. back in the 1960s. I remember about 80 MPH in cruise. It was the first aircraft I flew that, when pulling the power back, the deceleration would lean you forward into the straps. I bet one with the Model A engine would be worse with the radiator sticking up ahead of the front seat.

If you're gonna build a Piet you gotta be a real man and build one with a Ford A up front. And take 15 years to build it too. (like the one on the cover of the last Kitplanes)

Flat-4s are for girly men. ;)

I actually think a Piet is gonna be my first aircraft build project when I get the money and space. My only concern is my height, I am 6'3. An aircraft you can almost build on a regional salary! hmmm. I'd probably do contential, I don't think you save much money in the long run doing a car engine with gear box and everything lets go tried and true. (probably stick a 0-200 or 0-235). My piet is gonna have the first glass cockpit! Second is the weight but I can cut back on the beer for that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back