any taca pilots???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
You forgot to mention is that both engines "failed" due to the fact that this TACA crew flew into a thunderstorm where both engines ingested large amounts of rain and hail causing a dual flameout.

Fly on TACA? No thanks I would rather walk.

You are saying this like no american carrier has ever done something like that.

What a moron, keep walking dude!

you have to blame that on the aircraft performance under normal factors as rain and thunderstorms and the ppl who made the B737 and this pilot definately does not have only one eye!

Last edited:
Flechas said:
You are saying this like no american carrier has ever done something like that.

What a moron, keep walking dude!

Where did I mention that this never happened to an American Carrier?

As a matter of fact the Southern Airways accident out of Huntsville, AL comes to mind.

And for this you label me a moron? Back when you were still worrying about your first solo I was flying for an Airline that Code Shares with TACA.

Hey Flechas come back and start throwing insults when you have just a little bit more experience. OR at least one type rating. You have got alot to learn there junior.

Dangerkitty said:
Where did I mention that this never happened to an American Carrier?

As a matter of fact the Southern Airways accident out of Huntsville, AL comes to mind.

And for this you label me a moron? Back when you were still worrying about your first solo I was flying for an Airline that Code Shares with TACA.

Hey Flechas come back and start throwing insults when you have just a little bit more experience. OR at least one type rating. You have got alot to learn there junior.

Experience is irrelevant here. My comment was directed to your narrow-minded comment about not flying on TACA because of that accident.

Flechas said:
Experience is irrelevant here. My comment was directed to your narrow-minded comment about not flying on TACA because of that accident.

No, experience is not irrelevant here. Like I stated before I used to fly for a carrier that code shared with TACA. Since TACA used our gates, gate agents, mechanics, and the like I was privy to alot of information that I am sure you have never heard of.

I have heard many a story that have made me convinced not to fly them. If you will get your head out of you a$$ and maybe ask around a little you will realize that TACA does not have the best reputation in the industry and for good reason.

Dangerkitty said:
No, experience is not irrelevant here. Like I stated before I used to fly for a carrier that code shared with TACA. Since TACA used our gates, gate agents, mechanics, and the like I was privy to alot of information that I am sure you have never heard of.

I have heard many a story that have made me convinced not to fly them. If you will get your head out of you a$$ and maybe ask around a little you will realize that TACA does not have the best reputation in the industry and for good reason.

I know peoplethat work for them. The stuff youare talking about is past now. It's like saying you wouldn't fly Airtran because of their reputation in the ValuJet days.

How many accidents has TACA had recently? I am not going to pretend like I know the details of the dual-engine flame out, but I think something like this could happen to any airline or pilots for the matter. It seem like the PIC did a great job getting the a/c back on the ground. I was not there, most of us were not there at the time of the event, it is very easy to play Monday morning QB, just remember this could happen to any one and we as a pilot group should stick together.

Flechas, I agree with you.
Dangerkitty, it sounds like you had bad experience in dealing with TACA many years ago but the dual engine flame out may or may not been a contribution factor to your experience with TACA. As I said before how accidents has TACA had lately compared to AA. Before you say it, I know that you have more "flying" experience but that does not you are always right.
Keep cool and enjoy life.

TACA (Transportes Aereas Centro America) operates only Airbus presently, they still own but do not operate B737s and B767s.
TACA is actually one of the oldest airlines in existance.

Capt. Dordado lost his eye from gun fire while doing a medivac in a light plane.
He was the C.P. for TACA. He is now a Flt. Ops administrator.
He also regularly flys his Stearman for pleasure and in airshows here in Central America. He is a friendly, humble and unassumming guy with a very colorful career.

The B737 double flame out on approach to MSY:
The crew was just out of initial B737 training. There was a check airman in the cockpit. They lost most of their avionics and electric flt instruments. They were able to re-light the APU and regained hydraulic power during the decent. They used basic flying skills (which several airline pilots that I have flown with have lost) and safely made an off arpt, dead stick landing with room to spare. The F.O. spotted the dike on short final to a ditching and they had sufficient A/S and Alt. to re-aline with the dike. The crew showed true CRM and airmanship throughout the incident.
Boeing and 737 operators rewrote many procedures after the investigation.
There is an artical in a resent past issue of B&C Aviation.

The Sr. capts. at TACA were all ag and bush pilots sometime during their careers.

TACAs last accident was at La Aurora in the mid 90s. B767 ran off the end of rwy 19. The acft was written off, there were no pax injuries but I believe there were some fatalities on the ground. The acft went into part of a shanty town at the end of rwy 19. there is almost a 100' downslope elevation change from theshold to the end. The 76 sat there for quite a while. The acft was the highest cycle 767 at the time. Boeing had been closely following the life of this particular 767.
There were T-storms in the area. The accident was attributed to a micro burst. The Capt. was fired.

I fly with TACA regularly and it's always a pleasure, they appreciate the passenger.

TACA still serves meals on most flights. Also, top shelf booze is free to all paxs, including the ones being deported from the U.S. back to Salvador.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back