• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any taca pilots???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I delivered an airplane to them back in the mid seventies. They were based in MSY in those days. I "think" they are a US certified carrier unless something has changed. Believe they are flying B737's, the AirBus and seems like I have seen them in LAX with a B767 recently. Some of you may recall the B737 that landed on a dike somewhere short of MSY back in 1988. Thois was a TACA operation. The brand new aircraft had encountered severe hail ingestion in both engines resulting in a dual flame out at around 16,000'. The Capt was planning a ditching but at the last minute saw a opportunity to put it down a levey in the middle of no where. No injuries and they were able to repair and fly the airplane out a week or so later. Remember seeing photos of the Capt. He had some serious scars on his face from a previous encounter with a hijacker in which the hijacker lost the fight. TACA has not had an fatal accident since 1970 according to a Google search. Most of the folks that I encountered during the aircraft delivery, were Americans at that time.

Last edited:
"He had some serious scars on his face from a previous encounter with a hijacker in which the hijacker lost the fight."

Yep he also lost an eye in that fight. Did a damn good job of dead-sticking
a 73-3 onto a levee without scratching it. I watched the factory test pilots fly it off from there.

Spooky 1 said:
The Capt was planning a ditching but at the last minute saw a opportunity to put it down a levey in the middle of no where. No injuries and they were able to repair and fly the airplane out a week or so later. Remember seeing photos of the Capt. He had some serious scars on his face from a previous encounter with a hijacker in which the hijacker lost the fight. .
Haha...this guy is my new hero. What a bad ass.

Hell yea taca 110 was that flight that landed on a grass strip in new orleans where the hell do you see that hapening on a 737 with both engine failure. take a chance airlines bullsHiP.they are good. my sister is a flight atendant for a ea320 and I might soon beggin to fly there c208,s or atr,s hoperfully one day get on the airbuses.
BUt i think captain jose dardano had a previous scar not from a hijack but from a accident in a twin engine. then he got a nother scar in that safe landing of taca 110
so back to the subject any taca pilots here????

Took my dispatcher oral from a TACA pilot turned FAA inspector in ATL about 1980. His name was Paul Newman...no kidding. Good guy, but the oral lasted 5-6 hours ( not including a break for lunch ). And, I wasn't screwing up...he just wouldn't let go. The most difficult oral of my career.

KigAir said:
How does a person keep a medical with one eye?

You can get a waiver...I know a guy who did and flew air carrier.

comander said:
Hell yea taca 110 was that flight that landed on a grass strip in new orleans where the hell do you see that hapening on a 737 with both engine failure.

You forgot to mention is that both engines "failed" due to the fact that this TACA crew flew into a thunderstorm where both engines ingested large amounts of rain and hail causing a dual flameout.

Fly on TACA? No thanks I would rather walk.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back