Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any SWA pilots who live in/near Springfield, MO who commute to DAL of MDW?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

canbrass

I am interested in getting a job at Southwest and live in Springfield, MO. I was wondering if there is a good way to catch a flight to either DAL or MDW?

Sure. Drive to XNA (Northwest Arkansas). There are probably a dozen flights a day to DFW on American and American Eagle.

United Express goes to ORD a few times a day, as does American Eagle.

Out of Springfield you're not going to be able to commute on SWA, the closest online cities are TUL, LIT, MCI and STL. LIT, MCI and STL have non stops to both MDW and DAL, TUL has non stops to DAL or connecting flights to MDW through MCI or STL.

I'd focus on MDW as DAL is at least a year to 18 months away for a newhire FO, and then another year at least on reserve. You'll be holding a nice line in MDW far before then.

I really don't know what the offline picture would be like commuting on regionals out of Springfield of XNA. You'd probably be looking at a van or cab ride from ORD or DFW that way though.

Best of luck

Is it possible to catch a flight to either DFW or ORD and have a commuter car at one of those locations for driving to DAL or MDW? Is that cost effective, not counting the price of the car but rather the cost of parking at both airport, time and gas? Is there a scheduled shuttle that runs from main airport to the SWA airport?

We have a few crewmembers who commute out of Springfield. They usually go to ORD and catch the train or bus to MDW. STL is always an option.

Speaking of Commutes

Who out there would pass on a SWA offer in favor of a military promotion to O5? Why the commute option? It would be a 2 leg offline. Any comments? Herc

herc17 said:
Who out there would pass on a SWA offer in favor of a military promotion to O5? Why the commute option? It would be a 2 leg offline. Any comments? Herc

Take the O-5 billet and retire. By then the industry should be rebounded. It would be real hard to throw away an O-5 retirement. Then again passing on SWA would be tough.

herc17 said:

That is the big question. I would choose quality of life here. If the military life to 20-22 years (military always figures out a way to keep you longer than 20) is the best QOL for you the next few years, do that. If you want to get settled in the town you want to live in for the rest of your life, leave now if you can get a reserve job that won't kill you with a commute.

I would like to emphasize that you can find an AGR job or volunteer for deployments in the reserves to get a 20 year retirement if you really want it. The problem with that is loss of QOL until you get to 20 years of points because they will use and abuse you in activated reserve or guard status. So if you really want that 20 year retirement at age 45, stay on active duty and try again later.....

If you want to get to Captain the soonest at Southwest, leave the mil now and take mil leave later to get your 20. If you get stuck in a desk job on active duty, nothing says SWA has to hire you the next time you try to interview.

Tough choice.

Last edited:
Get Out Now!

I used to recommend to guys to get out as soon as possible to get the seniority number and then use the mil leave to ease the pain of first year schedules and also earn points toward a retirement. That is not an option for every service, but it is an excellent option if you can work it out without destroying your home life.

Now that I have seen the industry (albeit freight) up close and personal I recommend to most that if you can possibly put up with AD until 20 to go ahead and get the 20 first. Seeing what has happened to everybody's pensions and the wage decreases that are so widespread really makes me appreciate the fact that Uncle Sam will be sending me that check at the end of the month. That peace of mind makes a ton of difference to me.

Another thing that I have realized is that airline flying is nowhere near the glamour job I envisioned (again I didn't plan on freight, but I don't see it in the pax guys either) it would be. I also can't imagine doing this for any longer than absolutely necessary. Sometimes I am really jealous of the young Captains who are way senior to me but then I realize that this (part 121 flying) is all they have ever done and I remember how much more exciting and fun (and sometimes in a bad way) the military flying was. It was much more rewarding, particularly in hindsight. 16 years on the line will be plenty enough for me thank you very much.

That is not a slam on the young, civilian background guys/gals. It is just my observation. I wouldn't be in such a hurry anymore to leave the mil behind just to fly for an airline. I'd nail down the retirement first.

If you've already got 20, on the other hand, what are you waiting for? After all, you are working for half pay.

FJ

Latest resources

Back