any RV owners/pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unleaded said:
Make sure that whatever you build, you're going to be able to get insurance on it for your particular situation at a price that you can still afford some $4 per gallon fuel.

It can be an eye-opener when it comes time to change that builders policy to one where the machine actually gets airborne.

Sorry, I gotta leave- these flashing ads are causing siezures....:nuts:

No problem insuring an RV. I have 75K hull on an RV-6A and pay $1300/year.

How about a -4? I've got building/flight experience with an 8, but am interested in a -4 for economy. I'm 6' tall......want to do an occasional trip(nothing epic), mostly local flying/light acro. Thoughts?

Yeh, my insurance is the same exact thing as neflier, but mine is a 6, not a 6a..

svcrta - you may wanna look at a 6.. I am 6'3" 250 and fit in ours fine and we're burning 7-9gal an hour.. :D

Yeah, I know the 6 is rommier, but I prefer the tandem config. Thanks for the steer, though.

My hanger mate has an RV-8 (Mr April in Van's 2006 calendar). I've been in the back of both the 4 and 8. The 8 is a better airplane, IMHO. As of last month, the fuse on the 8 is prepunched. By the time you're done, the minor difference in kit costs would be minimal.

The 8 has a higher resale value and you have the option for a trike (8A). The insurance is lower with the trike. The 8 is larger, has more baggage and a much larger fuel tank. There is minimal cost difference between an O-320 (RV-4) and O-360 (RV-8).

My vote is for the 8 over the 4.

Unless of course your are buying a flying airplane, then the resale plays a big part. We got a nice VFR 4 for under 40K.

Whatever you buy, just make sure the tailwheel goes on the back (conventional), not the front (unconventional). Way more fun!

just an update...still looking. 2007 will be "airplane year". Wife now wants something that entire family can use. So I am now looking at Bellanca Viking's.

Will probably end up buying a high-time Traumahawk when its all said and done.

satpak77 said:
just an update...still looking. 2007 will be "airplane year". Wife now wants something that entire family can use. So I am now looking at Bellanca Viking's.

Will probably end up buying a high-time Traumahawk when its all said and done.

Family truckster = RV-10

Yeh, the 10 is a nice bird.. We've been thinking about unloading the 6 and picking up a 10..

Latest resources

Back