• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any RV owners/pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was looking at a –7, how much work would the QB option actually save? The Vans site says 30% to 40%, is that realistic?
Also the empennage looks like it might be a bear, is there a way to get some builder assistance with the hard sections?

Ya there are all kinds of programs out there for starting the empennage. Google Vans Air Force and find their forum. A wealth of information on there. As far as the QB option, I think it was awesome. After building the emp. and learning just what a bitch it is to drill, deburr, and dimple several hundred holes in that section, when the fuselage and wings show up pretty much complete you look at ALL the rivet work you don't have to do and just smile.

fxbat said:
I was looking at a –7, how much work would the QB option actually save? The Vans site says 30% to 40%, is that realistic?
Also the empennage looks like it might be a bear, is there a way to get some builder assistance with the hard sections?

A bit off topic - did a Cozumel turn the other day... parked on the GA ramp were a flight of 5 RV's tied down in a neat row. I didn't get a chance to look closely, but they looked really cool. I can only imagine the fun the owners were having.

I've got a -6.. I'm 6'3" and 250lbs.. I fit fine.. :)

fxbat said:
Nahhh, don't sweat the empennage, it's really not that bad. Get the Van's practice rivet kit and smash it together, then dive in on the tail; start with the vertical stab, it's the easiest, then the horiz stab, then the control surfaces. You could easily assemble the VS in a weekend, I think it took 12 hrs to build mine.

SIG600 said:
As far as the QB option, I think it was awesome. After building the emp. and learning just what a bitch it is to drill, deburr, and dimple several hundred holes in that section, when the fuselage and wings show up pretty much complete you look at ALL the rivet work you don't have to do and just smile.
Ditto! I think the QB option was the best $8K I've ever spent. It sounds like a lot of dough, but the work that it saves; the endless cleco/drill/un-cleco/deburr/dimple routine... priceless. A buddy of mine is building a Standard Kit -7A; he shoots the rivets, I buck 'em. Holy crap that's a lot of prep work and a bunch of rivets... I love my QB! I will say though, that it's a Quick Build in name only; there's still a lot of work to do for the Finish Kit, FWF, canopy, systems install, etc.

http://www.vansairforce.net/

Forums here;
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php?

Do a goggle search for "Greg Nelson F-1 Rocket". I've flown in Greg's pit, and it is an awesome aircraft. I'd say that for the extra $$, you'll get substantial increase in performance. Also, Greg is about 6'1", I'd guess. He designed a magneto-less ignition system for it that works fantastic, too.

Huggyu2 said:
Do a goggle search for "Greg Nelson F-1 Rocket". I've flown in Greg's pit, and it is an awesome aircraft. I'd say that for the extra $$, you'll get substantial increase in performance. Also, Greg is about 6'1", I'd guess. He designed a magneto-less ignition system for it that works fantastic, too.

You talking about electronic ignition, or FADEC? There are a lot of manufac's producing those setups. FADEC on em is F'ing sweet. Push a button, and the computer primes, cranks, and starts the engine. No more pumping, priming, swearing, cranking, flooding, etc.

Just another word of caution

Make sure that whatever you build, you're going to be able to get insurance on it for your particular situation at a price that you can still afford some $4 per gallon fuel.

It can be an eye-opener when it comes time to change that builders policy to one where the machine actually gets airborne.

Sorry, I gotta leave- these flashing ads are causing siezures....:nuts:

Saw a couple Rockets in Arlington over the weekend and I gotta say if you have wads of cash, go for it. You won't be disappointed. On the other hand, the 7 and 8 are exceptional machines and (I believe) a better value overall.

Unleaded said:
Make sure that whatever you build, you're going to be able to get insurance on it for your particular situation at a price that you can still afford some $4 per gallon fuel.

It can be an eye-opener when it comes time to change that builders policy to one where the machine actually gets airborne.

Sorry, I gotta leave- these flashing ads are causing siezures....:nuts:

Ya I used to think the MOGAS STC was a total waste of cash, not so more anymore.

Which leads me to the next thread...

Latest resources

Back