Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any recent ATC visits? (including approach, centers)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

Has anyone visited any federal ATC facility recently that needed to present the proof of US citizenship? I heard conflicting stories about this from different ATC areas.

Thanks..

Try calling the facility before visiting to set up an appointment and ask what type of identification is necessary.

Actually this is regarding an email that local FSDO sent to pilots. I heard people getting into Potomac Approach with no problem. I can understand it limiting the access to pilots only, but just limiting to citizens don't make sense. Especially at the time that non-citizens going through TSA process.

FAA policy for some time now. Must be a U.S. citizen to visit, OR, they'll have to take your info and do a backround check before you can visit. Takes at least a month I hear. As far as what "proof" you'll need, depends on what the facility feels comfortable with I suppose. Call and ask. You got a voter registration card?

Not all facilities are doing tours yet I hear, but we have for the past year....

Vector4fun said:
FAA policy for some time now. Must be a U.S. citizen to visit, OR, they'll have to take your info and do a backround check before you can visit. Takes at least a month I hear. As far as what "proof" you'll need, depends on what the facility feels comfortable with I suppose. Call and ask. You got a voter registration card?

Not all facilities are doing tours yet I hear, but we have for the past year....
Well I'm a pielet and a citizen, so no problem there.

Might have to call DAB and ask...

Within the past year or so, I've visited LA Center, Fort Worth Center, Atlanta Center, Atlanta Tower (Tracon is offsite, didn't bother with that), LAS Tower/Tracon, LAX Tower, Riverside Flight Service (RAL). I'm using a different backdoor to get into the facilities, and so far the only places to give me trouble were Miami Center. They said no way, we don't care who you are if you're not an active controller. LAX and RAL were set up through the schools, the others I set up on my own. I had no problems, I think the only thing I had to do was maybe give them my name and SSN ahead of time and have a driver's license when I showed up. LAS was done at the last minute (same day!) and I had no problem getting in. I've found the department to talk to is probably somebody in QA or training. If you call the main number and talk to those guys first, you'll get the fewest transfers :)

Our local tower is a contract tower, so calling them up for a visit is a simple process. As long as they are not busy and they have two controllers in there it is fine with them.

Looks like we have some unfounded policy in Seattle Tracon.. Let's see if we can get AOPA involved. I have no problem with background checks for non citizens (which they already do with the TSA process) but eliminating people just because is stupid.

Latest resources

Back