Any of you pilot MBA's out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardRambone

I am considering pursuing my MBA online and was wondering where you all got yours and if any one reccomends a good accredited online MBA. I'd prefer to stay away from an aviation MBA though. I mostly want to do it as a backup to my pilot career but also do you think it could help me land a corporate gig and maybe later a management position? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RichardRambone said:
I am considering pursuing my MBA online and was wondering where you all got yours and if any one reccomends a good accredited online MBA. I'd prefer to stay away from an aviation MBA though. I mostly want to do it as a backup to my pilot career but also do you think it could help me land a corporate gig and maybe later a management position? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Why not get your MBA in an aviation related field? I have a Masters of Aeronautical Sceince. I don't think I would have been able to stomach getting it if it wasn't aviation related. It kept me interested. And besides, if the flying gig doesn't work out, I still want to be in the aviation field 'cause I don't think I could live without being around planes.

Just my .02.

TJ

I'd stay interested if it was an aviation MBA but me thinks I should get some business knowledge outside of aviation since it is my backup plan. Plus as much as its convenient to do it online Im still worried that those places such as Keller and what not aren't worth the paper their printed on. I'd do one online that is from a accrediated school that actually has a major campus if I could find one that is like that. That is really what I'd like to know. Anyone know of a major MBA program thats all online?

RichardRambone said:
Im still worried that those places such as Keller and what not aren't worth the paper their printed on.

why do you think that? They're a nationally accredited program that takes 2-5yrs to complete (depending on how aggressively you want to take classes). They have campuses where you can attend class (there's one across the street from my office), or you can take them online. I personally know 4 people I work with who have degrees from Keller... and I work in a large public company.. and their degrees are recognized and valued. don't be so quick to judge something you might not know much about.

Last edited:
Ahh I see. I just pulled Keller out b/c it was in a previous post. I don't know much about Keller butI have looked into them a little. My main goal is to be a pilot but considering Im planning on moving around for the right jobs I'd like to have the flexibility of doing it anywhere. I'm just concerned that a potential employer wouldn't recognize the value of these online degrees. Just trying to get others perspectives.

Have you considered University of Phoenix? I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree, and have heard really good things about their MBA program. In fact, Shaquille O'Niel (sp?) just recently got his MBA from them (combined some class study w/ online).

The UOP online structure is not time-based. That is, there is no specific time you have to be logged-in. It can be fairly intensive as far as written work is concerned.

Let me know if you want more information. I'm probably going to enroll in their masters program (not sure which yet) once I finish.

--Dim

RichardRambone said:
I'm just concerned that a potential employer wouldn't recognize the value of these online degrees. Just trying to get others perspectives.

If your degree is from an accredited college/university, your diploma is identical whether you did your coursework in the classroom or online. don't get me wrong, there are plenty of "universities" out there that grant fictional degrees... i.e. you send them money, they send you a diploma and a transcript... don't get involved with any of these scams.. employers are getting wise to this degree BS, and will not recognize them.

As far as online, I can understand your initial reservations about an online program and how it might be viewed.. I have an MBA where I did half the degree in the classroom, and half online.. online ain't no joke.. you get more flexibility in terms of when you'll do work, and there are really no "class times," but, in my experience, there was more work and it was tougher academically than classroom based classes. But if you're looking for something that fits with a traveling pilot lifestyle, then an online degree is a good way to go.

Also, from a hiring manager perspective, those candidates that completed an online curriculum (whether it be for a bachelors or masters) while holding down a full time job certainly differentiates themselves. Gone are the days where masters work needed to be done full time, in the classroom.. businesses are embracing "alternative" approaches to education such as online based degrees.

Last edited:
F16TJ said:
Why not get your MBA in an aviation related field? I have a Masters of Aeronautical Sceince. I don't think I would have been able to stomach getting it if it wasn't aviation related. It kept me interested.

I've actually thought this before too, but I am in a non-aviation related MBA program now, and I'm actually finding it plenty interesting. Not that I have a desire to work outside of aviation even in a management capacity, but I'm thinking it will keep me from becoming too specialized should the need arise to work in another industry. Besides, all the principles taught in the standard MBA are applicable to aviation--it just takes a little more effort to apply them.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back