Any new UPS rumors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dav8tor

Since everyone is asking about Fedex, maybe someone at Brown could update us on anything new there also.

How is the contract going at Brown? Any chance that you are going to try and bring up first year pay for the new hires? Hope to see you soon.

Thanks

Fly Safe
:cool:

Nothing new to report...sorry

First year pay is about attracting the best talent to the company. I don't think the company will raise it because they know, in the present enviorment, that they won't have any problems attracting great canadates. First year pay is pretty bad while on probation at any airline...it's sort of an industry standard. While I'd love to see it raised I think there are a lot more important issues to be addressed on the next contract. Would I give something up out of the next contract to raise first year pay.....nope....

I wish I had better news but currently, we have not discussed anything important yet in the contract. I believe that we are looking at least a year down the road before we see a T/A.
We are continually understaffed. Every month I see people being moved to the backseats when we can't even come close to filling all the flying for the frontseats. This the dc8 and 727 are running around 2.3 crews per a/c in the front seats and they are moving people into the backseats where we are around 3 crews per a/c
these numbers are absurdly low but they will not hire.

The union currently has a job protection program in effect where we are not picking up opentime. This is the only thing that stopped the furlough beginning in march. The company says that the furloughs have been suspended. They have asked the union to withdraw the opentime ban repeatedly and the union has told them that we can stop it if they agree to cancel the furlough and give a LOA stating that they will not furlough.

The company has refused to do that, if you look at the backseat numbers it becomes increasingly apparent that they are desperately looking for a way to make this furlough happen.

The unity of the IPA crews is the only thing that has stopped them so far.

This outrageous behavior on a very wealthy companies behalf is embarrasing and unfortunate.

Sorry I didn't have any better new, but now you know the rest of the story.

Good luck,
Nightrider

"They have asked the union to withdraw the opentime ban repeatedly and the union has told them that we can stop it if they agree to cancel the furlough and give a LOA stating that they will not furlough."

Unless its me, it looks like the way you wrote this that your union publically or is openly telling its members not to pick up open time. If this is the case, isn't that illegal and couldn't UPS turn around and sue? I'm under the inpression that a union is not allowed to support any action by its members that could harm the company or something like that.

Its not an opentime ban, but an opentime advisory where they strongly suggest that it is not in our best interest to pick up opentime. They are right.

If you remember about 3 years ago airborne sued their pilots over an opentime ban and lost, it legally is not required for a pilot to work beyond his schedule.

100% IPA
nightrider

Yeah that sounds better an "advisory" always a loophole I guess.

The only reason I ask is because last year when we furloughed I asked our MEC about putting an open time ban on the cade-a-phone and he said they couldn't do it pubically or even advise a single member in private as it may be taken as an illegal action against the company.

The union did however take the daily open time posting off our union internet site. With that said I don't want to seem like a "company man", I do try and pick up trips from time to time, I figure I'll work hard while I'm young and have fun down the road when I have a family or something. I do not and did not pick up any trips when we had guys on furlough, but it just really common sence not to pick up when guys are furloughed you don't need the union to tell you that.

Any body in SDF know what the airframe delivery vs retirement schedule is for the forseeable future?, be a good indicator of how under/over manned Brown is during their negotiations.

Cheers, TB

Right now we are supposed to receive 77 new airframes between now and 2009. About 65 airbuses and 12 md11's.
However we will retiring about the same number (haven't heard a definite figure) of older 3 pilot airframes.

Good luck,
N

Re: Nothing new to report...sorry

de727ups said:
Would I give something up out of the next contract to raise first year pay.....nope....

When and if UPS ever begins to hire again. If the open time ban is still in effect, the 1st year pay will become an issue. 26K is not much to live on. I am currently a Corperate pilot. I make more than 26 now. I know from buds who work for UPS, they work and fly quite a bit less than I do. I have no problem with the 1st year pay if I can work overtime and not take almost a 50% pay cut.

I disagree with you about 1st year pay being used to attract the best to the company. I'm not sure but are there any other majors that offer lower 1st year pay? The company's success and operating practices draw candidates. The 1st year pay at UPS much like all the other things I have heard abou the company is designed to get work done for less money.

It will be interesting to see how UPS manages traffic come November if they don't hire anymore pilots. I suppose they can contract with FedEx to handel the overflow?

Maybe I'm just selfish though. I would think a company that has been churning out the profits that UPS is could afford to share some of their wealth with their employees. If your on the 72 fleet I would assume your pretty senior and lookin to get as much as you can before you leave. Just an observation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back