Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sc00ter

Lackey
I'm talking to a guy about a job tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone would like to comment on their experience or perhaps pass along some advice.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I can't complain about that!

Scoot

It is a lot of work, and the pay is terrible. But, look on the bright side, the hours stink too! Actually, it's a great way to get some time and you will learn about the edges of your aircraft's performance limitations. You will also meet a bunch of crazy people. It's not a bad way to get started in aviation. Good luck.

a little advice....

1. always honor the "extra altitude" request. only the hot chicks on the load will be able to properly request this....

2. keep a spare key in your pocket (if you're drivin' a cessna). why? you'll know when it happens....

3. it's tradition for the pilot to yell "BLUE SKIES" starting the takeoff roll... keep the tradition rollin'....

peace out. -sr. ;)

Are you gonna be flying for Adrian, scooter? If so - you're gonna have a blast. I had a good time when I did it.

I used to jump there. What are they flying nowadays? What a great little DZ! Rich and all the gang there are such great people. I miss it a lot.

humping jumpers is fun but gets long on the weekends. I didn't get paid but built a lot of time and got to jump for free. If I hadn't flown jumpers I wouldn't have gotten to the airlines when I did and it probably would have been a little while.

Have fun!

Just make sure to be on the ball with airpseed/coordination during jump run. The jumpers are likely to get pissed if you stall during jump run. You may be all over the place during climbout (4 heavy guys hanging from the strut, sitting in the V, standing on the step, etc.) Lossing all that weight at once is a different feeling too. One important thing to do is to keep an eye on the jumpers while they climbout and are poised for exit. If you see anyone's container start to open or a pilot chute come out, etc... kick hard right rudder RIGHT NOW. Having that canopy wrap around the tail will ruin your day. There was a 182 crash last season where what I described happened. Pilot had to bail. One website I would check out is

www.diverdriver.com

Full of good resources. Have fun, skydivers are a fun group of people to be around. I now have the same amount of jumps as I do flight time.

Very important thing, don't beat on the equipment. We had a new pilot at our DZ last summer. He wasn't very good about listening to advice. "Coincidentally", they had to have the engine overhauled. Don't ever let the jumpers/DZO/hot chicks/etc. pressure you to fly an airplane that you aren't 100% sure about. The weather will improve, the airplane will be fixed, but if you get your license yanked by the feds,... the jumpers/DZO/hot chicks won't be there to help. Good luck and have fun. Flying jumpers is/was the most enjoyable flying I do.

Latest resources

Back