Any gyroplane guys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pra

Check out www.pra.org (popular rotorcraft association), it seems to be the place to go for gyroplanes. You can get your gyroplane rating in experimental gryros because of a waiver they got. Also an interesting way to get to you helecopter rating. Gyro is same catagory diff class at helecopter. Get gyro rating (apparently much easier and cheaper than helecopter) then do a class add on for helecopter. -kingaira90

UnAnswerd said:
Is a gyroplane basically a helicopter with a seperate prop to push it forward????

In very simple terms....in a gyroplane, the rotor acts in place of a wing, and the prop/engine on the back does the same as it would on an airplane....propel the aircraft through the air. Gyroplanes don't have a physical connection between the engine and rotor, therefore it's just air turning the rotor. Some have a pre-rotator, which just spins the rotor up initially for a vertical - or nearly vertical - takeoff...but that rotor RPM only lasts a short time if you don't immediately get the aircraft moving forward.

Check out:

http://www.aircommand.com/gpage2.html

FracCapt said:
In very simple terms....in a gyroplane, the rotor acts in place of a wing, and the prop/engine on the back does the same as it would on an airplane....propel the aircraft through the air. Gyroplanes don't have a physical connection between the engine and rotor, therefore it's just air turning the rotor. Some have a pre-rotator, which just spins the rotor up initially for a vertical - or nearly vertical - takeoff...but that rotor RPM only lasts a short time if you don't immediately get the aircraft moving forward.

Check out:

http://www.aircommand.com/gpage2.html

Man, those sound dangerouse as hell!!!

We've had a couple fatalities in gyros around my airport in the last 2 years. I keep hearing about these things going down. I thought about trying it out, but will seek some other avenues. Maybe I'll try gyros later.
Good luck.

UnAnswerd said:
Man, those sound dangerouse as hell!!!

Hmmmm....maybe you're definition of "dangerous as hell" and mine are not the same, or you are just not understanding the principles behind gyroplane flight.

I, personally, do not consider them much more dangerous than any other type of small single engine aircraft. Quite honestly, in terms of safety in single engine aircraft, I rate the helicopter as safest, gyroplane as middle ground, and airplane as least safe. Why? Because you need a whole lot more room to safely land an airplane than a helicopter or gyroplane.

Keep in mind.....I have only flown a gyroplane ONCE, and I am NOT rated in them.

I don't have any interest in flying gyroplanes, but I don't feel they are as dangrous as some people think they are. Then again, I have no interest in flying most single engine airplanes, either....so take it for what it's worth.

Gyroplanes are wonderful, and far, far from dangerous. Homemade plans built benson type gyrocopters flown by self-taught gyro pilots are gauranteed accidents. Inevitable.

Helicopters are far safer in most respects than fixed wing aircraft, especially when an engine fails. Autorotation offers far superior landing options than a fixed wing airplane.

A gyroplane flies in a constant state of autorotation.

Gyroplanes are a lot of fun, safe, economical. Try one. You'll be hooked.

Gyros are fun to have. Mine is fast and old. I built mine in the early 80s. I used a gear reduced two stroke twin cylinder water cooled engine. I only got about 75 hours on it. Keep in mind it prescribes to gravity so some augered one in and didn't walk away.
Lee

certified

There are still at least 2 types of certified gyros around, both made in the 60's or 70's. The Air and Space 18A and the McCullough J2 (sp?). They look more substantial, don't know if they are "safer" or anything. Looks like fune to me! When I am rolling in cash I will do it ;-) -kingaira90

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back