• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any gouge for Korean Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is there any gouge out there for Korean Airlines interview?

I have a number of former colleagues over there on the 744 (one as an FO).

The sim and situational questions is the order of the day. Technically if you have flown intl widebody its nothing too tricky.

My FO buddy was struggling however...long hours of no social interaction whatsoever from the other cockpit crew.

During recruitment and training they were all very courteous and professional which he thought would bode well for the line ops...not so. Outside of SOPs a lot of korean chatting amongst the other crew with little or no attempt at establishing rapport with him.

That said he is over it and flys SOP's, gets paid good money and goes home. He parties on the rd on his own unless with expat skippers and is starting to get used to it without the early sensitivities.

To be fair to the Koreans ...how would you like to be an eight year FO and have a DEC come in and take a seat that could have been yours..hence the negativity towards expats which trickle down to the expat FO's.

On the Capts side..its easier...i.e. its good to be the king.

Word of caution with Asian carriers...they are absolutely by the book and take standardization to the 'nth degree. If the FCOM says the response is 'CHECK' and you respond 'CHECKS' or 'CHECKED' it is grounds to stop the sim...and they do. A number of early retiree US major heavy skippers went over there to ride out their final years...a lot of them have made it however five in one class busted. i ahve a buddy who was in training at the time and although the five guys side of the story would scare you away...the other view was that they were not willing to fully play the Asian airline training game...i.e. agreeing with some dope with far less experience that doing it their way was the only way.

good luck and enjoy Asia...its a fun ride.

fv

Word of caution with Asian carriers...they are absolutely by the book and take standardization to the 'nth degree. If the FCOM says the response is 'CHECK' and you respond 'CHECKS' or 'CHECKED' it is grounds to stop the sim...and they do.

Like my Dad used to say back in the day: "best pilots in the world....until they see the runway."

Like my Dad used to say back in the day: "best pilots in the world....until they see the runway."

Regionaltard,

That is the funniest avatar picture I have seen in a long time. Thanks for that!!!!!

One general question for Korean: which aircraft types are they currently hiring into? This may have already been answered.

PIC's & FO's for the following (previous experience req. except B.777 PIC)

B.737 NG
A.330
B.777
B.744

fv

Latest resources

Back