• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any former DC-3 freightdogs out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool, pin727. We see you folks all the time at SJU. Bet the folks at Douglas never thought their airplanes would still be out there making money every day 70 years after they were built!

i know, 1/2 of our old DC-3 fleet is in San Juan,the other half is split between Alaska,and Fla. great to see the old girls still earning their keep.

anybody out there fly the piston convair? another wonderful ship !

anybody out there fly the piston convair? another wonderful ship !
7500 hrs in the 340/440 for North Central. I really liked the piston CV better than the CV580. Low noise level and light on the controls. There was never a more busy pilot in the world than a piston Convair co-pilot in icing conditions with the augmenter vanes at 90 degrees and carburetor heat on. Between the carb heat and the cowl flaps it was like playing an organ. :)

i agree ,i have 1333 hrs in the Convair 340,logged between '97-'99 with contract air cargo out of ptk,michigan. loved those water injected 2800's,and the wonderful music they made on take-off. i too liked the 340 better than the 580 which handled like a truck in comparison.

i agree ,i have 1333 hrs in the Convair 340,logged between '97-'99 with contract air cargo out of ptk,michigan. loved those water injected 2800's,and the wonderful music they made on take-off. i too liked the 340 better than the 580 which handled like a truck in comparison.
You are lucky to have had the chance to fly them at that late date. My last piston Convair flight was in 1968 but I can still hear and feel them in my imagination. They were my second airline captaincy. Sweet dreams.

my second captaincy too, unfortunately the round motored Convairs are now extremely rare,less than 20 active worldwide, a sweet ship,no vices.

While on the subject of round motors. What ever happened to all of the Martin 404,s.. Any old heads from Southern Airways remember those.

a 240,340.or a 440?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back