Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any folks out there ride mountain bikes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
I'm sick of all this flying stuff, and with spring just around the corner, I'm bummed looking out my window and seeing snow falling here in upstate NY. I'm itching to get out and spin the legs out a little, since my bike has been hanging in the garage being neglected since November. Any other folks out there in the same boat? If you live in warmer climes than I do, please don't rub it in!

Why would snow stop you?

Mountain biking in snow is fun, if you can find a route that isn't too deep. You get to work on your balance, and it's tough to dress warm but stay breathable. Hard packed snow on walking paths is the best.

Pick a gear you like, because within a few minutes, the temperature and slush will lock your derailleurs where they are and you'll be stuck with it. The brakes are ineffective, too, but you really don't need them at low speed.

it's fun, true...

...but the clean up! I used to be into riding rain or shine back when I was a young buck, but I'm a fair-weather weekend warrior now. As much as I love tinkering on the bike in the garage late into the night, listening to the radio and swatting mosquitos away, spending an hour with a can of WD-40 cleaning everything up isn't so much fun anymore.

So are you one of those crazy Mountain Dew/Redbull Rampage types, or have you been riding long enough to remember what a Mag-21 or Bontrager is?

I am also waiting for the weather to improve a bit. I live in the Seattle area where it rains once in a while and it’s better to let the trails dry a bit so they don’t get too trashed.
I’m looking for a new cross-country bike, anybody have a recommendation?
Anybody ride a Giant NRS 1?

You've inspired me. It's 63 and clear here in ATL. I think I'll jump on the Specialized and check out the daisy dukes at the park.

Floo, you see, thats exactly what I was talking about! Don't rub it in. On the other hand, when it's about 90 with 90% down in Georgia, I'll be cruising the trails enjoying a cool breeze here in the Adirondacks!

So are we all riding around on FS bikes nowadays? I'm fortunate enough to have both a newer hardtail and an older FS bike, but for some reason, I prefer the hardtail. I'm always replacing bushings on the FSR, and they are getting a little hard to track down at bike shops (it's a '00 model, before they replaced the bushings with bearings), and I'm thinking that I might sell it and an old road bike that never fit me correctly in favor of a new road bike, but so far the checking account says otherwise.

Anybody have any input on a decent road bike in the 800-1000 range? Preferably steel? I know since AL is so cheap nowadays, chro-mo is becoming more of a "botique" material, which is kind of ironic I think.

There's little or no clean-up if you go out when it's cold enough that there's no slush. It helps to leave the bike outside for 30 min first so it's cold-soaked and snow won't stick to it.

I absolutely hate riding in the rain, but I have no problem going out when it's cold. It's just a matter of wearing enough breathable insulation. I've gone cycling in as low as -25 degrees.

I have two bikes- one is a newer FS model. It looks cool, but that's about it. I think the best combination is a hardtail with adjustable air/oil front. The FS makes me a little nervous, even on minor jumps and drops. I'm afraid that a chunk like me will fold the thing in half!

hard tail steel bike (like an old fisher) with air/oil fork.

no exceptions.

I dont even ride my f/s!

been a long-a$$ winter..........

looking forward to long rides followed by lots of brew and mexican eats!

:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back