Any Fedex News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

P3tarbaby

It has been REALLY quiet on the board lately. Has anyone heard ANYTHING about classes? August? Keith, Albie, Huck, USNFDX...anyone...?

I haven't heard anything about classes. Just the usual rumors about which aircraft are going to replace the 72's. Fiscal year ended last month. Maybe some hope of news relatively soon from the bean counters whom seem to get the ball rolling. Hang in there ya'll.

Got an e-mail back from KD this week

" I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will have a class by the end of the year".

Back to the shallow end of the pool, my legs are getting tired

:eek:

Internal hiring

Iwas told that 5 instructors who's 3 year training contracts are up will be hired to the line in Aug or Sep.

Rumors

Nothing confirmable here,

And I thought that Rumor Control was bad in the military!!

vacancy?

It has been said before, but just to reiterate...

The B-727 is not short on pilots by any means. This is our entry level aircraft for the most part and appears to be sufficiently/slightly over manned at the current moment. I am a second officer sitting reserve by choice in Memphis. They typically use me between 6-8 days per month. First officers seem to fly slightly less and captains are being used about twice per month or so.

I want to see more guys on the property like everyone else does, but I don't see it happening any time soon based on what I said above. The REAL problem is the MD-11/MD-10. They are SHORT, SHORT, SHORT of bodies. My neighbor is a training dude in the MD-11 and has said that they have reworked and reworked the syllabus to get more throughput. They can handle up to 20 per month now apparently which is up from 8-10 per month if I recall correctly. He has also mentioned that we have picked up 19 Swiss Air MD-11s and are working on 11 Delta MD-11s. Growth combined with a heavy retirement schedule from this plane means they need to throw bodies at it as quickly as they can train them. That being said I don't think more will come in the front door until there is room in the Boeing.

Just my .02 worth. Hopefully we will start getting jammed into the MD-11 and there will be a giant sucking sound of vacancy in the Boeing which will lead to some serious hiring in the not too distant future.

Goose17

Last edited:
The folks in training on the MD11 told my class that the Swiss Air thing was not a done deal yet. I think it will happen but it's just not official. They are currently training 16 crews a month and will be ramping up to somewhere around 18 crews a month by the fall. Our ability to except additional aircraft into the MD11 fleet is limited by training right now.

I second what USNFDX said about the professional instructors. One of my instructors is a professional and he said that he's going to the line this fall. They are currently interviewing for professional instructor postions from internal applicants. In my ground school class they had three student instuctors sitting in the back of the class so they are gearing up for more training.

As far as hiring goes, I haven't heard anything. Hang in there guys.

NightFlyer

Spoke w/ John Snyder (SP?) last month at the Air Inc Seminar and he said that he was "hoping" for a class this Fall. As usual, nothing firm. Despite meeting expectations on EPS and an 8% growth, bottom line is until the MD-11's suck up enought crews to create a vacuum at the bottom end with the 727's, we're left to continuing the dead man float.

To my knowledge, none of the Delta MD-11's have been sold to Fedex, and most were just parked. World Airways I beleive is leasing 3 of them, or maybe bought them. This does not rule out that Fedex will eventually buy them though. I think UPS also wants them.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

John Ryder with an R for those of you applying or going to when things turn around.....

Professional instructor interviews on the 15-16th of July. May be simply for attrition but even if they are just "maintaining" number of professional IPs its a good thing (vice letting the department shrink and wilt...)

My line number went up 60 in this last reshuffle on 1 July, which indicates quite a few age 60 guys STAYED on the panel vice retired when they aged out of the captain/FO seats. Don't know how all that factors into hiring voodoo but I figured somebody on the boards would ask so I'm passing it on....

Latest resources

Back