Any Falcon 200 drivers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxFlyr

Couple of questions. What is the max weight you can takeoff from a 5000' runway at sea level and let's say around 75 degrees? and what would be your range with the amount of fuel you have on board? And last but not least, what do you honestly think about the 200? Thanks in advance for your valuable time. Boxflyr

We ran into a couple of guys in IAG driving a 200, first one I'd seen up close. Can't answer your questions, just remembered those Garretts with the big cone-looking deals out the back. Thought they were fitted with hush kits. Anyway, I remember the crew really liked the plane's performance.

Don't ya hate it when someone is bored and just answers posts even though they can't address what you were asking? Sorry, but I really am bored.

Several years ago I looked at the DA200 for my then employer. Our mission profile was TO from a 5000' runway at 1500 AGL and fly 1500 NM at 80F. The 200 made the short list. The biggest concern was the engines. There are only 2 aircraft that use the engines the DA200 and the HU25. There are 32 spare engines and the Coast Guard has first dibs on all of them. I was told by a source at Garrett that Garrett will stop supporting the engine when the Coast Guard parks their last a/c. You MUST have MSP to viably operate the aircraft. And it is steep.

Plus look at the fact that DA20F's with the -5 conversion sells faster and for more money than the 200 which is a newer aircraft. That tells you something right there.

BoxFlyer
a very good friend of mine is pic on a 200 and what Rick said about the engines is correct to the extent of my knowledge. Garret techs that I've spoken to have said that the engine (ATF3) is very difficult to work on. also, hot and high performance is not so great. TAS hurts when it's +ISA outside.

the good side is that he says it handles like a dream and has good runway performance. Good, logical cockpit layout as well. I rode in it once and at least that what it seemed like to me.

Well...... The Falcon 200 I think got a bad rap.... Its a good airplane... ITS A FALCON! Anyhow... Honestly there are more cons than there are pros.... Simple because of the engines... If the airplane has the "silver bullet mod" most of the problems are solved... I flew sn 479... The MSP is very expensive... About $350 per engine per hour. And mx is expensive too... If you need more info pm me and I will dig out my check list and performance numbers for you...

from www.atf3.org

"The primary focus of the silver bullet modifications was to reduce and better control turbine section metal temperatures to extend operating life and reduce repair costs. This was accomplished by revising cooling flows and controlling them with additional metal baffles, revised piston ring seals, and extensive use of ceramics. The design changes also prevented combustion products from entering the engine cooling air passages and contaminating aircraft cabin air. Emphasis was placed on reworking and reusing existing hardware to keep conversion (and engine operating) cost to a minimum. This program was a huge success, reducing turbine metal temperatures by as much as 350 Degrees Fahrenheit and extending fan turbine disk cycle lift threefold."

Speaking of Falcon 200's, anyone know the story about the Coast Guard Falcon last night (1/4) in BHM? I saw it go screaming down the runway with the CFR trucks following. It looked like they were going to run off the end, but they got it stopped and turned it off on the last taxiway.

Oh... I forgot.... If you are considering getting a Falcon 200... There is only one guy in the world... That can give the type rating! Atleast last time I check.... There are guys that can give recurrent rides, but there is only one that can give the type.... There is not a simulator for it anywhere... Flight Safety and Simuflite list training for the airplane, but you do your training in the actual airplane... Most of the time you will sit through Falcon 50 systems class, and then fly your own airplane for training. Have fun....

Latest resources

Back