Any Branch Transfer Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawkdriver2815

I am currently a W01 in the Army National Guard. I just turned 25 and I am a 600 hour PC. I would like to transfer to the Air Force, my degree will be completed within the next year. I am serving in Iraq right now. Can anyone give me any insight into how hard this is? Has onyone on here done it and have nay advice for me. I have talked to recruiters while here and they don't seem to be able to help much. I am commissioned as a Warrant. I really don't care what I fly for them, obviously I would love to fly any dual engine aircraft they have however the pave hawks would work as well. Any info would be helpful, thanks alot guys.

I'm sure there's something out there. Did you want to stay in the Guard/Reserves or go Active Duty Air Force? If guard, you would probably have to contact the units directly and see if they have anything available.

Hawkdriver2815 said:
I am currently a W01 in the Army National Guard. I just turned 25 and I am a 600 hour PC. I would like to transfer to the Air Force, my degree will be completed within the next year. I am serving in Iraq right now. Can anyone give me any insight into how hard this is? Has onyone on here done it and have nay advice for me. I have talked to recruiters while here and they don't seem to be able to help much. I am commissioned as a Warrant. I really don't care what I fly for them, obviously I would love to fly any dual engine aircraft they have however the pave hawks would work as well. Any info would be helpful, thanks alot guys.
I happen to have a student right now who is a former Warrant with the Army who flew H-60's. He is in AF pilot training as we speak. If you would like me to get you in touch with him, send me a PM.

... and something your Army/AF recruiter won't tell you... you'll be eligible for the Pilot Bonus as well ($25,000/year... if it's still around).

Thanks

I really appreciate the help guys, I know there has to be a way to make it happen, I will probaly just keep knocking on doors until I get an awnser. I will go Active Duty if I need to although I like knowing what I am gonna fly prior to leaving for training. Although I have done some research and it doesn't look like the AF has a bad Aircraft. I am really happy where I am now in Blackhawks but I also realize that I will be in the exact same position in 10 years. Also seeing the F-16's do afterburner takeoffs evreyday here is enough motivation to keep trying. Once again thanks for the help.

If you are trying to get into a Guard unit, you will have to go through the respective states. You are reversing the flow. I know several former USAF, USN, USMC pilots who became WO pilots in the USAR/ARNG, but only know of one who went to the AF after flying in the Army.

I doubt there are any ANG recruiters in Iraq because active duty and reserve recruiters can recruit for both. But NG recruiters can only recruit for the National Guard...Air or Army. They're back here. If you find an ANG unit over there, try to get into the squadron and network.

Good luck...fly safe!

If you are Army trained and trying to go Active Duty AF, you will have about a 99.9% chance of flying helos for the AF. If you're looking to transition to fixed wing, then the guard/reserves are your best bet. Take a look at the job openings page on www.baseops.net.

As far as branch transfers go, the Army really isn't letting anyone transfer to another service. In fact, they're begging for other service people to transfer to the Army. Best bet is to wait until you start getting closer to completing your ADSO, then start working with AF/AFR/ANG so that you don't have a break in service.

BTW, you're not commissioned as a warrant until you get promoted to CW2 and take the oath. Just FYI.

If your an Warrent 01 in the Guard that means you have less then 2 yrs of service correct? Why are you trying to get out? Would your unit even let you after spending all that money on you? I have a friend who flies Apaches and loves it? Maybe you should try and transfer to another Army unit. I don't understand your statement of being in the same spot in 10yrs.

schoolio said:
If you are Army trained and trying to go Active Duty AF, you will have about a 99.9% chance of flying helos for the AF. If you're looking to transition to fixed wing, then the guard/reserves are your best bet. Take a look at the job openings page on www.baseops.net.

Every Active Duty Pilot going thru UPT has a blank slate when they show up. In fact, I think its rather hard to get Helo's in the AF, usually one a class.

Statisically speaking, I would think a new AD pilot has the best chance of getting a Herc, KC-135 or C-17.

HoursHore said:
Every Active Duty Pilot going thru UPT has a blank slate when they show up. In fact, I think its rather hard to get Helo's in the AF, usually one a class.

Statisically speaking, I would think a new AD pilot has the best chance of getting a Herc, KC-135 or C-17.
Going to UPT, sure. Good luck getting that as an Army helo driver. I tried the same thing 2 years ago and was specifically told by the Air Force Personnel Center that because I was helo trained and not fixed wing rated, that I would have no shot of getting into UPT and would go into an officer transition program, followed by an aircraft transition program, followed by assignment to a unit.

Of course, AFR/ANG are a different story.

Latest resources

Back