• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any Branch Transfer Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get me wrong I am happy where I am and not trying to deter anyone from joining the ARMY. The Blackhawk is an amazing machine and I love every second of it. Fixed wing however just opens up so many more options for someone my age if I decide to make a career out of it someday on the civilian side, which has always been the ultimate goal. If I got KC-135s that would be perfect. I know there is a 130 wing in Kentucky for the Air Guard so I might just try to talk to them. All the info you guys offer is much appreciated, I get very impatient at times just because I have heard that you must be in training for the AF by age 27. In regards to the 10 year statement I have listened to all the senior warrants who all say if I had it to do again I would have went AF. It would be my luck that I will transfer and the guard will get the C-27 though, ha. I make CW2 in 8 days I was aware I am only appointed until next week. Thanks again for all your help guys!

Well, I heard it on this board first, but it applies here: "Lucky for you that none of these people know what they are talking about ........." :)

If you want to fly in the Air Force you need to finish your 4 year degree ASAP. Don't worry about getting a commission as a W2 because that doesn't mean anything. Nothing. Anyone who says different is just blowing smoke. The point being that you will still need to get a RLO commission either in the Army or through the Air Force (OTS, AMS).

The best way to do that is to get a conditional release from your unit, and then, assuming you want Guard or Reserves, find a unit and talk to them directly. They say, "We'll hire you." That's it. The process begins. Paperwork, paperwork, pain, etc.

If you want to fly helos then you will go directly to aircraft specific training. If you want to fly fixed-wing, you will go to fixed-wing qual (no age limit), then aircraft specific training.

This info applies to the guard and reserve. I know nothing of active duty Air Force except that alot of people are trying to get out of it so that should tell you something.

On another note, helicopter flying is some of the best you'll ever do. Nothing else compares. But it doesn't translate much to a civilian career. If you realize that then you are way ahead of the game. Even as a WOJG.

Good luck. If you want alot of flight time and want to work alot in the Air Guard or Reserves, go heavies. There is plenty to do.

DG

Thanks for the clarification BAT. I know what you mean about helos though, I understand that I will really miss them, however I won't burn any bridges in the transfer so they will always be there. My chain of command understands, they also know that helicopter jobs are hard to come by. Even in the guard someone has to die in order to open up a slot. I am finishing my degree when we get home. I get back in NOV start at Embry Riddle in DEC. They give alot of credits for flight school and I was a crew chief for 4 years also and they throw a few at you for that. How do you like the 135's? I plan on going as heavy as possible.

weekendwarrior said:
600 hour PC and a WO1? How'd you manage that? Deployment?

He's a 60 driver. Sometimes it's easier for them to make PC in a limited capacity. When I was in the 101st, several of my buddies (60 drivers) made PC, day only, as 1LTs. Not saying that's the case here, but just a possibility.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back