• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any ANG guys on here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is this Air National Guard thingee you refer to? Never heard of it....

I am a civilian with about 2500 hours TT and I was wondering how difficult it is to get into a rated position part time. I fly for a regional right now, but seem to be missing out on the excitement in flying.

Go to Baseops.net and look at the ANG/Reserve job page. http://www.baseops.net/newjob.html.

http://www.wantscheck.com is another website that provides a pretty good description on the path to getting your wings.

Just keep in mind, that if you are serious about this, it is going to be at least 2 year process. Interview w/ the unit, get hired, go to OTS, wait for pilot slot, go to pilot training (1 year), go to FTU (formal training unit), get mission ready, go on prog tour (6 months).

It is a big commitment for someone hired off the street, but it has been done before.

Good luck.

Stay as far away from the ANG as you can. It ain't what it used to be!

You are on mil leave (4ever)..but the Guard sucks? Interesting...will it suck if you get furloughed or your airline goes tits up? Have you turned in your papers yet?

We had a ton of guys complain about the Guard...that was until 9/11 and then you could not swing a bat without hitting one of them. Then when all was well and good..back to moaning. The a lot of them retired. The Guard was also not such a bad place during a strike.....

I have found that the Guard, like anything in life, is as good or bad as you make it or let it be.

Best flying gig in the military. By far. Especially as a traditional guardsman. Best backup job for an airline pilot. Best furlough protection. It kept food on my table for three years.

Keep trying. You'lle get a slot eventually.

You are on mil leave (4ever)..but the Guard sucks? Interesting...will it suck if you get furloughed or your airline goes tits up? Have you turned in your papers yet?

We had a ton of guys complain about the Guard...that was until 9/11 and then you could not swing a bat without hitting one of them. Then when all was well and good..back to moaning. The a lot of them retired. The Guard was also not such a bad place during a strike.....

I have found that the Guard, like anything in life, is as good or bad as you make it or let it be.

Did I say it sucks? I must have missed that. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. FYI, I've been in the guard since '93 and full time since '99. It was great even a couple of years after 9/11. Now, and I'm sure this is heavily unit dependent, it seems like EXTRA active duty without the fun. However, I have lots of friends in other units that haven't seemed to lose their "guard identity" and they love it.

What I'm saying is make sure you are very familiar with the unit you intend to join and don't overlook the active duty either.

PA44

I was in a similar situation when I applied and accepted a pilot position with an Air Guard Unit, however I was already a commissioned officer with the Army National Guard. Try baseops.net and wantscheck.com. Find units that are hiring. Most units tend to accept applications in the early spring for summer/fall interviews, (not always the case). There are a few tests that you must take that may take some time (AFOQT and TBAS) Study and get these done ASAP. If you are over the age of 30 you are going to have a very hard time (not saying it cant be done but I have not heard of people getting this waiver due to the number of qualified applicants). Find units that are located around areas you want to live, especially if you intend or currently fly for an airline (commuting sucks), and units that fly the type of aircraft you want to fly or the mission they currently perform. Also look into the BRAC report to see if units you want to fly with are gaining or losing aircraft. Go to the above mentioned websites to get started. PM me if you need any additional info or help. It can be pretty confusing getting started. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back