Any Alaska LAX out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BRlinepilot

My wife and I are debating where we should settle down and want to solicit some input from both LAX and SEATAC based Alaska folks. We are intimately familiar with the LA area and hardly at all with Seattle.
All questions are based on LAX vs. SEA
1) What are the trips like (ie. routes, layovers, variety)?
2) Quality of life as far as being able to take the desired days off (after accruing some seniority, ofcourse)?
3) Upgrade times and being able to hold a line?
4) I know the weather is not the greatest up at Seattle, but what do you think? Is it worth putting up with the gloomy weather to live up in Seattle?
Any other inputs would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think you will notice any real difference between SEA or LAX as far as lines, quality of life, or upgrade time. The only difference I can think of is that SEA is the biggest base, LAX is a lot smaller. If you like a small base feel, then LAX is for you.
Personally, I hate big cities and would probably have to quit this job and become a dentist if I had to live in LA. SEA is a traffic night mare where your life revolves around the ebe and flow of cars inching along the freeways.
On second thought, I think you might hold a line in SEA a little sooner, but if your heart is in LA, I wouldn't base a decision to move on that. Keep in mind that commuting to reserve stinks... It can be done, but your quality of life goes sub-terrainial. Good luck with class.

Do most new hires start off in LA? What is the average time to unitl one can hold a line? How about change of base?

Mach none,
Tell me about your class size and the drop (aircraft type and location). Any rumors for future class drops would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most of this years new hires will go to SEA. There are a few LAX openings, but if I remember the last bid correctly it looked like 75% of the new hire openings were in SEA. There are no ANC openings (probably won't be for some time).

Where you go and what airplane you fly is based on your age. Oldest man in the class is senior and picks what he wants off the list, and so on till the baby of the class gets what ever the last slot was. You are not seat locked into this position. This is considered an assignment, not a choice, so on the next bid you can move to where ever your seniority allows.

Generally speaking... and these are guesses, you are looking at about a year to open flying lines in SEA. More in LAX. The MD is probably more senior than the 737 (but who really wants to be on a dieing airplane anyhow?)

Keep this in mind, things are tight right now... We are planning on hiring about 98 pilots this year, when other airlines have hundreds furloughed. Those who are hired this year will be on reserve for a long time, but at least they have a job! The future of this company looks great, the retirement numbers 4, 5, 6, and 7 years from now are huge, so it will all work out.
Happy 4th.

Yeah, happy 4th! more questions......... what's the length of training for the 737 vs. MD83? Any highly recommended lodging during training?

Latest resources

Back