Antonov enters bid for tanker contract!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not a chance in hell.

1. Russia is not an ally and nor even a reliable supplier and could (and would) pull out support for the airplanes depending on their political objectives at the moment. Do not under any circumstances trust the Russians. The flag may have changed, but what's between their ears hasn't.
2. We don't need to buy any Russian junk. The occasional wet-leases are a completely different animal from actually owning.
3. The airplane is too big. Ramp space is at a premium most places. It's not necessarily size that's needed, but more booms in the sky.

Why do you think many former soviet client states are dumping their Russian junk in favor of western aircraft??

The KC-767 based upon the B767-200 is the perfect platform for the new tanker. Well proven and in service now with several countries. Parts are plentiful. Proven engines. The right size. Rugged and dependable.

Last edited:
Why not, we were already willing to give it to Air Bus. This might be a big idea put together by the Obama team.

Always wonderd how the Russian airplanes could cost 1/20th of the price of Western aircraft. They seem to endure pretty well over time. That said I am not sure if we should go that route. How about we let a new start-up in the US get this contract, this way we create jobs and circulate our dollar in our own economy.

I think you mean Ukraine. It's separate country now and they speak Urkanian there.

Last I heard they were trying to join NATO.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize that the production was to be in the Ukraine. Antonov used to have production facilities in Russia and some other FSRs. Not a whole lot of love lost between Ukrainians and the Russians now, which is a plus.

I still don't have confidence that an Antonov entrant would be the best choice in terms of quality,supportability, and utility. I'd pick Airbus over Antonov.

The sad thing is I could see the Obama administration going with something like this.

The really sad thing is that people are so brainwashed and awash in partisanship that they think these types of contract awards are done by the presidential administration and not the Pentagon.

and the Dumb post of the Week award goes too............

Why not, we were already willing to give it to Air Bus. This might be a big idea put together by the Obama team.

Latest resources

Back