Antney or Illini

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gonnabeadad

A co-cfi of mine who did his cfi at Flyers wanted to know what the approach you guys use at Flyers that is a DME arc with step-down fixes? If you could let me know that would be great

Thanks

the approach we use for a DME arc in the chicago area to teach is the Janseville vor app into rwy 4 and the ILs into rwy 4. Janesville is in wisconsin so if your looking for the right section for approach plates. if your looking for a DME arc with stepdown fixes while on the arc itself, i havent seen one of those. but for just a DME arc onto either a precesion or non precesion approach janesville wisconsin is oyur place. i hope this answers your question. what was your friends name, iu might remember him if he was in the academy for CFIs.
antney

This isn't an approach in IL or WI, but if you have a Frasca and national approach plates, fly the VOR/DME 15 into Martin State, MD (MTN). The approach is an arc with step down fixes along the arc. To make it even more fun the missed approach is an arc.

now thats some fun instrument flying, ill be trying that on all of my students tomorrow and see how they do. its going to be so nice being on the computer side, but i think ill jump in and try it after the student leaves, ahahah. thanks for that idea for an approach, it will challenge some of my instrument students.
antney

Try the departure out of Medford Oregon. Last time I flew it it was an arc that put you into a hold. Good one. I think the identifier is MFR.

If you do have a Frasca and want to show your student what a steep ILS looks like go to Van Nyse (sp) California. VNY ILS 16L. I believe it is the steepest ILS around at 3.9 degrees. Avbug, do you know of any steeper?

Last edited:
I would say to fly it like you would any other DME arc. The VOR/DME 15 approach at MTN that pilotguyt mentioned is a great example of what you are talking about... I used to use it all the time on my cocky instrument students. (Anthony - that approach used to be in the blue binder next to the monitor by T1)

Keep in mind that there is a difference between technique and procedure (man, I sound like Huser!). American Flyers doesn't have a "procedure" (at least not when I was at DPA) to fly the type of approach you are talking about, like the one at MTN. But each instructor will give you his/her technique for flying that particular approach. The approach at MTN demonstrates the importance of keeping track of your position on an arc, rather than just staring at the DME and turning when the numbers get too big or small. My tip, as well as Anthony's, for flying arcs in general is this: To keep track of your position on the arc, twist the OBS knob on the VOR in the same direction you are arcing. For example, if you are arcing clockwise on the 7 DME arc, then you should be twisting the OBS knob clockwise also. The same is true if you are arcing counter-clockwise. Doing this will enable you to transition from the arc to the final approach course without having to rotate the OBS knob 180 degrees. Like most "rules of thumb" there is an exception. The exception for this rule is if the final approach course is away from the VOR, as in the VOR/DME A at Woodward, OK (WWR). In an arc such as this, you would turn the OBS knob in the opposite direction that you were arcing. So if you were arcing clockwise, you would turn the OBS knob counter-clockwise.

Use this website to view the approaches I mentioned, or any others for that matter.

Wow, I guess I miss instructing a little! I hope this anwered any questions you might have had.

Latest resources

Back